Basement Renos

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Basement Renos

Post by brhenrio » 2 weeks ago

I am in the middle of developing a basement, so brewing has been put on hold for a bit.

I want to run 30amp power to my garage for brewing, and i have a stablock breaker panel. Anyone know how to incorporate ground fault protection with 30a double pole breaker?
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Re: Basement Renos

Post by Dave » 2 weeks ago

I've read that stab loc had some issues, and just found this.

https://blog.societyinsurance.com/why-y ... ok-panels/

This is what I used.

https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/siem ... -spa-pack/

brhenrio

I am olay, i have a newer stabloc panel, not one of the older ones.
Tap 4:

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 2 weeks ago

brhenrio wrote:
<span title="|27 Sep 2019|, 23:22">2 weeks ago</span>
I am in the middle of developing a basement, so brewing has been put on hold for a bit.

I want to run 30amp power to my garage for brewing, and i have a stablock breaker panel. Anyone know how to incorporate ground fault protection with 30a double pole breaker?
I worked as 309A electrical apprentice (construction and maintenance) prior to my current job. I'll try to give you the best advice I can.

First, is this an attached or detached garage?
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

XXXXX
Administrator

If it's detached... should run a normal 60A (to a subpanel in the garage). You'll have to have a disconnect or "main" breaker on the panel. Then, you can create your protected circuit from there.

If it's an attached garage, you might skip the subpanel.

The easiest way would be just to use a 30 amp double pole GFCI breaker and run it wherever you'd like it to be. Done. The breaker you're (probably) looking for is a Federal Pioneer - NAGF230 - Stab-Lok...Try Guillevin International or Westburne. They're quite expensive, FYI.

If you're hoping to keep costs lower, you're probably probably better off running a normal (unprotected) 30amp circuit to a gfci spa panel in the garage, and then to a 30a receptacle to the protected side of the spa panel. The benefit here is that you can probably get a used spa panel on kijiji for cheap, and you aren't required to buy the Federal Pioneer breaker ($$$) You can use any brand of spa panel, but you'll still need a double-30 stab-lok for your main panel.

Also... Can't speak for every province, but you can likely legally do the work yourself. You're also probably required to get an inspection :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

brhenrio

Attached garage, have been looking for the breaker itself and have not found any, have not hit the interwebs though. I can legally do the work myself (to hire it out I need to find a master electrician ($$$ alberta) Thanks. I am going to run some 3 wire 10 gauge in interim.
Tap 4:

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by Dave » 2 weeks ago

Run 4wire, if you think you may like to have a 110 circuit as well.

XXXXX
Administrator

Not sure what your hobbies are, but I'd I'd probably go up to #8 (or, better #6) too... in case you ever want a welder in the garage. The price difference for the length you'll be pulling will be negligible.

But yeah, the 30-amp GFCI breaker looks like Federal Pioneer NAGF230. Available at Guillevin: https://www.guillevin.com/eediv_electri ... 43505.html

(you're better off buying a spa panel or putting in a subpanel in the garage)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*