OLD BEERS AND BREWING !

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
Edd The Brew

OLD BEERS AND BREWING !

Post by Edd The Brew » 6 months ago

How Do All ,
I`m Edd Mather , a UK Brewer & Brewing Historian who also blogs about old beers and brewing at ,
Make Mine A Magee`s @ : oldbeersandbrewing.blogspot.com .
I`d really love to feature some historic Canadian beer recipies on the blog ; but sadly , I`m unable to get over to Canada to research for myself at the moment .
I`d like to ask if any members would be able to help with photos of the records ? , there are a few in publicly accessible archives ( Universities etc) , or maybe a relative way back when used to work in a brewery and managed to get a few momentoes when the place closed ? ; If you can help , please leave me a Personal Message on here , or through the contact me button on the blog . I`d love to hear from any Canadian brewing history enthusiasts , and would be happy to correspond etc .

I hope that some members will be able to help me , and I`ll happily acknowledge sources , and the archives location etc ; I`ll also keep sources confidential where required .

Cheers All :cheers: , and Happy Mashing ,
Edd The Brew

Edd The Brew

Re: OLD BEERS AND BREWING !

Hi All ,
Thanks to the wonders of the interweb , I`ve managed to track down some historic Canadian brewing production records ; there`s a Substantial collection at Dalhousie University Archives , in the Killam Memorial Library @ 6225 University Avenue in Halifax .
The Collections are from the A.Keith & Sons Brewery ( Records from 1913 - 1971 )
Oland & Son Brewery , ( Records from 1928 - 1972 )
If any members are able to help with photo`s , pop me a PM , and I`ll e mail a list of the records with Cat No`s etc and a crib sheet for archives research .
( Available after i`ve typed it up tomorrow !!) ; any other info as to where collections might be is , welcome ; as I`ve heard that some early Labatt`s records have survived , not too sure of their location though .
Cheers All and Happy Mashing ,
Edd

Edd The Brew

Edd The Brew wrote:
<span title="|28 Apr 2019|, 15:39">6 months ago</span>
Hi All ,
Thanks to the wonders of the interweb , I`ve managed to track down some historic Canadian brewing production records ; there`s a Substantial collection at Dalhousie University Archives , in the Killam Memorial Library @ 6225 University Avenue in Halifax .
The Collections are from the A.Keith & Sons Brewery ( Records from 1913 - 1971 )
Oland & Son Brewery , ( Records from 1928 - 1972 )
If any members are able to help with photo`s , pop me a PM , and I`ll e mail a list of the records with Cat No`s etc and a crib sheet for archives research .
( Available after i`ve typed it up tomorrow !!) ; any other info as to where collections might be is , welcome ; as I`ve heard that some early Labatt`s records have survived , not too sure of their location though .
Cheers All and Happy Mashing ,
Edd
Hi All ,
I`ve typed up the lists of Catalogue Numbers for the Keith`s and Oland`s Brewing Production Archives @ Dalhousie University ; If you can help with photo`s for research etc , please pop me a D.M and I`ll e mail you a copy ,

Cheers All

Edd The Brew

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 6 months ago

welcome to the site, Edd!

We have a number of east coast brewers here, including some in Halifax. Hopefully one of them can help you out.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Edd The Brew

How Do XXXXX ,
Thanks for the welcome , I`ve just heard back from the archivist at Dalhousie University ; and It`s not great news atm ,as the records of brewing are , apparently not open to inspection ! .
I`ve put a few feelers out for other historic Canadian brewing records and hopefully I`ll hear something back soon ; as I know that there are Labatt`s production records from at least the 1890` - 1910 in existence , not sure about Molson`s though ; and if any member`s relatives might have the sort of thing I`m looking for hiding away in Attics , Cellars , Barns and other places ; I`d love to hear from you , pop me a PM for my Email address .
I`d be happy to chat about old beers and brewing , and if any members have a favourite style ; let me know and I`ll pop a recipie up on here , I`ve got examples of all major styles brewed in the north of England from 1786 - 1967 , and a few Scottish recipies from 1894 - 1910 .
Cheers all , and Happy Mashing

Edd The Brew

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 6 months ago

Welcome to the site. I think i seen an old alexander kieths recipe somewhere a while ago, that may be one worth tracking down.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Edd The Brew

Hi brehenrio ,
Thanks for the welcome , can`t say too much atm ; but i`d be happy to see any snaps taken before the records were sealed ( They`re over at Dalhousie University Archives ) which I`ll happily keep confidential if anyone can help ? .
Apologies for the late reply , had a research trip to both Whitehaven and , Barrow in Furness Records Offices over here in the UK , i`ll be posting some stuff on here recipie wise as a bit of an exclusive for Canadian Home Brewers ! ; Hope this thread`s OK for that ? ,
Cheers , and Happy Mashing ,
Edd

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 6 months ago

Edd,

Sounds like a bit of a pickle.

You may have tried some or all of these ideas, but here goes my two cents:

1) Because Halifax is such a far place from many of us, maybe you'd have a better chance finding a local Haligonian on the Brewnosers forum? They're specific to Atlantic Canada. I even wonder if one of them works at, or attends, Dalhousie.

2)Aside from that idea, I'd maybe look at clubs/classes/events at the university for a contact name:

2a) Looks like they ran a brewing course complete with history of brewing, etc. https://www.dal.ca/faculty/engineering/ ... _2016.html

2b) They ran a beertasting event... possibly by someone who is very interested in beer (and its history). https://www.dal.ca/news/events/2019/03/ ... event.html

2c) The faculty of engineering actually runs its own brewery... https://www.dal.ca/faculty/engineering/ ... ampus.html

Although the records aren't "open to inspection," I wonder if someone on the "inside" might be permitted to access them.

I hope some of that helps. Its tough, because Canada is ridiculously big. Example, someone in Vancouver, BC is the about the same distance from Halifax as someone in London, UK.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Edd The Brew

How Do XXXXX ,
Thanks for the reply , Comments duly noted , they were the first ones I came accross when looking at archives catalogues online .
Hereare some of the other archives to hold old Canadian brewing production records that I`ve found on line ,
The Molson Collection at Libraries and Archives Canada , at 395 Wellington St North , in Ottawa , they`re on the web , and their website`s easy enough to look stuff up on , I`ve attatched some catalogue references below
3.1 :
Cask Labels etc 606 - 13
Boswell Brewery 1908 - 1939 381 - 6 ; Champlain Brewery Ltd 1915 - 43 383 - 27 / 28 ;
Cosgrave Brewery 1910 - 1933 387 / 4 ; Frontenac Breweries Ltd 1916 - 1935 390 / 26
Hops 1932 - 1943 393 / 14 - 15 ; Humber Brewery 1932 - 1942 393 / 20 ;
John Labatt Ltd 1909 - 1943 394 / 20 - 22 ; Malt & Hop Calculation 1926 - 1934 396 / 23
Molson , Lawson & Co 1940 ,1942 397 / 18 ; Molson ? Lobly ? ?& Co 1934 - 43 398 / 11 / 19 - 25
Molson Walker & Co 1930 - 1933 398 / 1 - 3 ;
Molson`s Ontario Ltd 1928- 1934 398 / 6 - 15 , 1935 - 1939 399 / 1 - 12 , 1939 - 1943 400 / 1 - 12
National Breweries Ltd 1910 - 31 402 / 16 - 24 ; 1929 - 1939 403 / 1 - 14 , 1940 - 43 404 - 1 - 4
Sudbury Brewery Co 1930 - 1934 410 / 4 ; Walkerville Brewery 1908 - 28 412 / 28
Capilano Brewing Co Ltd Beer Analysis 1935 - 1938 534 / 2
534 / 2 : Edmonton Brewing & Malting Co Ltd ; .
The following are , labels albums there , 583 / 1 1900 - 1971 ; 576 / 1 1910 - 1960 ; 607 / 1 ? , 577 / 2 Scrapbook of Canadian and other labels 1910 - 74
The following records on microfilm are worth a look : M 8287 ,
Cheers All ,
More updates as and when ; and I`ll be posting that recipie soon ,

Happy Mashing All !
Edd The Brew