“Real Lagerin’”?

New to Canadian Homebrewers? Tell us a little about yourself and your homebrewing setup!
Frankenfinger
Favourite Beer: Kismeyer Nordic

“Real Lagerin’”?

Post by Frankenfinger »

I’ve been home brewin’ ales on and off for 3 1/2 decades. Returned to it ~ 4 years ago using my “ole’ stone jars” and glass carboys.
Never filter beer, keg it nor bottle it in plastic. Brew @ ~ 18C or less.

Frankenfinger
Favourite Beer: Kismeyer Nordic

Re: “Real Lagerin’”?

Post by Frankenfinger »

Taken to ‘air temperin’*using conical fermenters (Polyolefin “Fastbrew”) @ ~ 18C embellishing dry hopping in mash bag for steeping throughout fermentation until bottling.
* bucking ambient temp of 8 - 14C with simple ‘on/off’ controller for 100W heater in ~ 1/2 m3 box containing fermenter and circulating axial electronic fan.
Want to try ‘actual’ lagering with lager yeast starter, profiling air temp to deal with lager’s diacetly break and continuing onto lagering @ 1.0 - 0.5C w/o racking using conical fermenter. Hope to chill tempering box with Peltier effect thermo electric cooler. Anyone with experience / methodology to follow and deal with diacetyl break? I’m not keen on continuing to measure the s.g. of the wort and continuing to open expose the wort to the atmosphere.....
Never filter beer, keg it nor bottle it in plastic. Brew @ ~ 18C or less.