SSL ("secure") Browsing?

Official communications to and from the Canadian Homebrewers Forum management.
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

SSL ("secure") Browsing?

Post by XXXXX »

Hey guys,

Do any of you care about SSL browsing? If there's enough demand, I'll look into implementing it.

Adam
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Re: SSL ("secure") Browsing?

Post by Venari »

Being unsure as to what SSL is, I can't answer one way or another.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by Dave »

I don't see that it would benefit me. Do you think I'm wrong?

XXXXX
Administrator

Post by XXXXX »

It's the "padlock" you see on some websites (e-commerce sites usually). It means the connection between you and the site is encrypted.

99% of websites are browsed in "plain text". SSL encrypts it so that only you and the website know what information is being shared.

There is very little reason to use HTTPS/SSL on this particular website, but there's a general push towards HTTPS/SSL becoming the new norm.

Essentially, HTTPS is a much more secure/best practice way to browse the web... nothing is required on your part as long as you use a modern browser.

You can read about the differences here http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/https.asp
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

XXXXX
Administrator

Post by XXXXX »

Dave wrote:I don't see that it would benefit me. Do you think I'm wrong?
No, I don't think you're wrong, which is partly why I haven't gone that route yet...

Nothing we talk about here is sensitive information, and there are zero financial transactions completed on this website.... and no real names/identities other than what we choose to share.

The only main benefit would be that passwords would now be sent encrypted (passwords are already encrypted on the server end, but now your computer would encrypt it before sending it over the internet, in addition to the server's end).

Biggest benefit is a little more security if you happen to use the same password for multiple services/websites (which you shouldn't do!)

Adam
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

XXXXX
Administrator

Post by XXXXX »

Update:

Alright, secure browsing has been enabled. If you can see this, you should see https:// before the address in your address bar, and you should have a green lock appearing.

Doesn't change your browsing experience other than that it's more secure now.

Enjoy :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger »

:cheers: I don't see any change on my end. I'm good with it. Thanks for keeping us safe. :bow:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

I see the green lock.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Working for me as well. More security, no added inconvenience, seems like a pretty good deal to me!
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari »

Unsure if related, but here's what I've been seeing from my phone for a few days now.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-02-19-15-51-44.png
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?