Need help with welded fittings for my brew kettle

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
YMS_1975
Favourite Beer: Molson Export

Need help with welded fittings for my brew kettle

Post by YMS_1975 »

I recently started another thread in a different section of the forum (Homebrewing Equipment & Supplies >> Homebrewing Equipment section) asking about whether or not its possible to make a counterflow chiller work without modifying the kettle for the outlet port / ball valve.

If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought a brew kettle with welded fittings. From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), welded fittings don't leak (provided they're welded correctly), whereas weldless are more likely to leak, if the o-ring(s) give out, which they eventually do due to wear & tear.

I'm shopping for a wort chiller, and I would love to make my existing kettle work with a counterflow chiller. So. I have a 30 quart / 7.5 gallon kettle & I want to find someone who can weld the threaded coupler into the kettle for me, at a reasonable price. What's "a reasonable price"? :P You tell me.

I live in the Niagara, ON region. Does anybody have someone they use in this area who has done an excellent job in the past?

Bodhi

Re: Need help with welded fittings for my brew kettle

Post by Bodhi »

im in BC, so no. But have you considered a chillzilla or something like that? no welding required, might end up cheaper

YMS_1975
Favourite Beer: Molson Export

Post by YMS_1975 »

Yeah....

This has been on the back burner for a very very long time. I've decided not to pursue home brewing. There's just no way of getting the answers I need in a timely manner. I've posted on this & another (American) beer brewers website, but still haven't figured out how to get welded fittings.

Oh well, I guess I gave it the ol' college try and I'm better off just buying my beer. Shame though. This looked like a really fun hobby. But thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers. :)

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Thats too bad. You really can brew a much better beer than you can buy commercially. You also tweak your recipes to your own tastes.
If you decide to try again post questions and someone will get back to you!