Help needed bottling accident

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
gcn17
Favourite Beer: lager

Help needed bottling accident

Post by gcn17 »

Hi all, I have been brewing for about a year now. Mostly kits and some partial mash brews and I have enjoyed them all. I have a big problem I need advice about. 2 nights ago, I transferred a beer off the primary to a bottling bucket after 3 weeks. I was lifting the bottling bucket onto the counter and accidentally hit the spigot and broke it off. Beer was gushing everywhere. I quickly poured the beer back into the primary. I had to do this quickly as beer was going everywhere. Obviously I disturbed the yeast cake and exposed my beer to far too much air. I had bulk carbonated the beer with 250g of dextrose prior to the accident.

I am looking for some advice on how or if I may be able to save this batch. I simply capped the primary pail again with airlock and fermentation of the dextrose I added is going on right now. Was this the right move? Should I have bottled it anyway even though it was extremely cloudy from being poured onto the yeast cake? Is there anything I can do to prevent oxidation now?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Help needed bottling accident

Post by brhenrio »

Yeast should take good care of the added oxygen because it is fermenting again. Wait for it settle out again and bottle. Too much yeast in bottles can cause gushers, I have had this happen to me in the past. RDWHAHB
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

gcn17
Favourite Beer: lager

Post by gcn17 »

Thanks, I thought it might be ruined and I considered tossing it out. I am glad I didn't.

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout »

How did this turn out? You may have inadvertently created one of them refermented Belgian beers! :rockon: