Aging in a used red wine oak barrel, or new?

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
twistandstout

Aging in a used red wine oak barrel, or new?

Post by twistandstout »

I've been really thinking about oak aging lately and just barreling for fun. I brew both beers and meads at home.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 23L oak barrel that was emptied of red wine just last week and has since been filled with water "to keep the wood from drying out."

Have any of you used any "used" barrels such as this to age certain beers to add complexity? I've seen a lot of breweries use old bourbon barrels to age imperial stouts or old wine barrels to create funky saisons and such.

I'm assuming there must be some bugs living in the wood creases inside that barrel? Could I simply just rack a beer into there and let it sit for a few months or would that be a disaster?

This is only for experimentation purposes, and for fun. I could get a brand new oak barrel (uncharred) and just have fun aging my meads in there, but something is drawing me to these used wine barrels...

I would appreciate some advice. Thanks! :cheers:

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Aging in a used red wine oak barrel, or new?

Post by brhenrio »

If there was wine in there, there might not be that many bugs. Your first few beers will not need to sit in the barrel long to pick up a pile of wine flavour, so brew something strong tasting! If i had the chance to pick up i barrel I would in a heartbeat, but I would sour with it!
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Aging in a used red wine oak barrel, or new?

Post by brhenrio »

And also since it is a 23L barrel, it will not take that long to age, and keep that thing full as possible!
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4: