34/70 Long Lag Time

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Kolsch

34/70 Long Lag Time

Post by Reignman »

I made a Helles on Monday and the OG was 1.042. I sprinkled in 2 sachets of 34/70 at 10 C and no activity going on after 34 hours. I don't have any more of this yeast on hand. I didn't aerate it. Should I? How long do I go? I do not have an lager yeast in stock at this time. I shut off the ferment chamber and it is now, 11.6 C.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Kolsch

Re: 34/70 Long Lag Time

Post by Reignman »

It finally got going after 48 hours. I didn't aerate and wonder if I did, it would of shortened the lag time. My earlier lager started at around 10 hours. The yeast for that one was Wyeast 2007.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: 34/70 Long Lag Time

Post by Warthaug »

I'm late to the party, but I've found that 34/70 can take a while to show fermentation activity after pitching. In more than once case I've been able to measure a gravity drop before obvious increases in turbidity and a "kraussen" appeared. I brew using a blow-off, and with 34/70 I rely on seeing bubbling as a sign of fermentation rather than the more "traditional" indicators of fermentation.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!