Mead slightly too alcoholic?

A general forum for making wine, cider, and mead at home.
twistandstout

Mead slightly too alcoholic?

Post by twistandstout » 3 years ago

I recently brewed my first 2 batches of mead: A blueberry mead, and a wildflower mead (used lavender, heather tips, and yarrow).

I read lots of tutorials before attempting making mead. In the end, I dissolved 3 gallons of honey in water to fill up a 1 gallon jug. The gravity was pretty damn high, I think saying the mead would be 16% alcohol. When I racked it after a month to get it off the trub, I tried a bit. It was damn alcoholic, almost like a fruity gasoline. Not terrible, but not great.

Do you think 3 pounds of honey per gallon is too much? I'm going to be making another batch soon with 2.5 pounds instead of 3.

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Re: Mead slightly too alcoholic?

Post by JimmehBrew » 3 years ago

Doesn't mead take like a year to mellow though ?

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 3 years ago

You need to age. Strong meads can take 1-2 years to get good. Lower-alcohol ones (8-12%) can be ready in a few months.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout » 3 years ago

Warthaug wrote:You need to age. Strong meads can take 1-2 years to get good. Lower-alcohol ones (8-12%) can be ready in a few months.

B
I see. Well, I'm patient. I guess it will just have to age. I'll opt for less alcoholic next time.