Newbie first brew recipe

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
BobbyIronsights
Favourite Beer: mine

Newbie first brew recipe

Post by BobbyIronsights »

Hi there, I'm Bob, sorry if this topic has already been answered but I had no luck searching FIrst beer recipe, first recipe or recipe, also putting my search terms in brackets appeared to do nothing and I couldn't use the google search bar. I searched easy beginner recipe online and got wildly different recipes, some wanting me to start with malted grains which seems.... complicated for a first timer

Anywho, I want to try a dry malt extract recipe that is reasonably close to a normal Canadian beer in flavour for the first go around, and need a suggestion for a first recipe. Not looking for perfection, just easy and simple to get started.

Also, how do I choose my Hops, I see alot of percentages of acids and oils and whatnot and could use a simple guide

A link to a reputable website or something would mean the world. I'm doing alot of googling but I'm still stupid.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate any suggestions
Bob.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Newbie first brew recipe

Post by Warthaug »

This is a pretty broad question, as you can brew nearly any style of beer from extract. I would ***strongly*** recommend that you ***do not*** brew one of the pre-canned malt extract kits. They tend to make shitty beer.

An easy entry point would be to buy a malt-extract kit from a reputable seller. This way you can pick a style that you like, and not have to worry about buying all of the correct ingredients. I shop extensively with ontario beer kegs, who despite their name, sell nationally via mail-order. They have a line of kits that would likely serve you well as a starting place: https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/5-Gallo ... _1146.html

Hope that helps, and welcome to the hobby!

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

BobbyIronsights

The only "style" I know is lager, beers like molson canadian and labatt blue, any suggestions on a homebrew that's kind of like those?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio »

Try a blonde ale or a cream ale
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post by Reignman »

Don't forget to sanitize everything. A trip to a homebrew store is a good idea if you are close to one. They will help you with every step of the process.

BobbyIronsights

Nope, thunder bay resident, but I have seen it emphasized greatly in written and video instructions so i bought some starsan.