Kit brewer trying to learn the ropes

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Acadian_1755
Favourite Beer: Still on the hunt

Kit brewer trying to learn the ropes

Post by Acadian_1755 » 4 years ago

Hi guys, im as rookie as they get , i have been reading a litle on how to mess arround with kit beer to get educated ,, im just wondering what you guys think of my plan, i want to buy 4-5 cans of the same kit and follow direct instructions for 1 and for the rest play arround with different fermentables an yeast temp , maybe hops just to try and get a better understanding of what everything does,, Any suggestions.?
Thank you!
Partons la mer est belle!

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Re: Kit brewer trying to learn the ropes

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

welcome to the forum bro.

your plan seems solid, my biggest advice would be to watch the fermentation temperatures and try to keep them in a good range. that made the biggest improvement to my homebrews. if you haven't yet, read about the "swamp cooler" method for a cheap and easy solution.

good luck!
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Acadian_1755

Thanks smokeymcb! I will check for sure ,, i appreciate the response

Acadian_1755

Ive got 2 kits going now ,, one i straight up followed directions The other i replaced the kit yeast with us-05 and put 7:5 dextrose spraymalt instead of basic 1kg dextrose what should i do with the next two batches aside 100% ldm instead of dextrose? Im fermenting at 19c can i go colder or is this pretty much the limit for the "non-lager yeast"

Acadian_1755

SmokeyMcB wrote:welcome to the forum bro.

your plan seems solid, my biggest advice would be to watch the fermentation temperatures and try to keep them in a good range. that made the biggest improvement to my homebrews. if you haven't yet, read about the "swamp cooler" method for a cheap and easy solution.

good luck!
Nice avatar i went to placentia newfoundland for work and tried the blue star and black horse i think its called

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

Black horse it is bro. We used to call it "pony piss" when we were younger lol.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

Here is a free online book. Buy the book as it is a must for every homebrewer.

www.howtobrew.com

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 4 years ago

Acadian_1755 wrote:Ive got 2 kits going now ,, one i straight up followed directions The other i replaced the kit yeast with us-05 and put 7:5 dextrose spraymalt instead of basic 1kg dextrose what should i do with the next two batches aside 100% ldm instead of dextrose? Im fermenting at 19c can i go colder or is this pretty much the limit for the "non-lager yeast"
That's a great plan to change up the yeast. Is 19C your ambient room temperature, or the temperature of your beer? Also, what style of beer are you making? Good to see another NB'er here! :cheers:

Acadian_1755

Reignman wrote:Here is a free online book. Buy the book as it is a must for every homebrewer.

www.howtobrew.com
Thank you reignman. I keep seeing that name in my search results ,will def give it a look see

Acadian_1755

Canuck wrote:
Acadian_1755 wrote:Ive got 2 kits going now ,, one i straight up followed directions The other i replaced the kit yeast with us-05 and put 7:5 dextrose spraymalt instead of basic 1kg dextrose what should i do with the next two batches aside 100% ldm instead of dextrose? Im fermenting at 19c can i go colder or is this pretty much the limit for the "non-lager yeast"
That's a great plan to change up the yeast. Is 19C your ambient room temperature, or the temperature of your beer? Also, what style of beer are you making? Good to see another NB'er here! :cheers:
Hey canuck , thanks man .. 18-19 is the liquid temp. Im just brewing blonde ale and kit lager(not real lager i take it) 12 galof each . I see you work for or own a nano bwr.., thats soo Awesome. .. Hammond river, i read a article avout that somewhere .. Looks awesome