Question about Freeze Distillation

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Frank88
Favourite Beer: Irish Ale

Question about Freeze Distillation

Post by Frank88 » 4 years ago

So I've got a silly question that I've spent about an hour trying to research with no really solid answer.

A higher power has blessed me with a large, dark, cool, unfinished basement, and a big empty freezer. So the obvious thing to do in thanks is to make a metric crapload of applejack.

My main concern is the inclusion of methanol in the finished product, particularly since I'm aiming for a 30-40% ABV.
Now, from what I understand, methanol is a byproduct of unwanted bacteria breaking down pectin, and is also already present in low concentrations in many store bought fruit juices.

So in an apple juice sugarwash, would I expect to see less pectin available to be broken down due to the clarification process, or expect to see a low amount of methanol already present due to the pectin enzymes added FOR clarification?

TLDR: If i use a no-preservative no-suggar-added apple juice for a sugarwash, then distill it by freezing, what are the odds of going blind?

And I guess while I'm asking, is there any advantage to doing a freeze distillation first, then running through a pot still? Or would I be better off just forgetting about freeze distillation and just running the whole batch through the pot still?

Thanks!

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: Question about Freeze Distillation

Post by XXXXX » 4 years ago

Welll,

Methanol freezes at about -98degC

Ethanol freezes around -114degC

But...

Methanol boils at around 65degC

Ethanol boils at about 78degC

Its easier to boil it off than freeze it out. Commercial distilleries would use fractional distillation if it was more cost effective (quicker, cheaper, both)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 4 years ago

Yeah, freeze concentrating your fermented apple cider is incredibly inefficient. If you've got a pot-still to run it through, I'd go that route (while keeping it very quiet, since it's illegal) Or, simply drink it as a hard cider. It'll probably taste better that way.

Frank88
Favourite Beer: Irish Ale

Post by Frank88 » 4 years ago

Alright, I'll be opting for the safer (not going blind) method, thanks for the advice!

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » 4 years ago

on the freezing not, why not try an eisbock?

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post by JimmehBrew » 4 years ago

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013 ... -kill-you/

Here's a good read for you Frank see the above ABC link.

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 4 years ago

That article is full of BS

JimmehBrew
Favourite Beer: Bass Pale Ales

Post by JimmehBrew » 4 years ago

bellybuster wrote:That article is full of BS
Belly please expound your statement on the article, I would like your input on it :cheers:

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 4 years ago

"Homemade spirits such as moonshine, hooch and white dog can easily be made the wrong way and have added toxic methanol"
All spirits have methanol, just not enough to be toxic. It takes lab grade equipment to fully fraction pure ethanol.
It would actually be hard to make spirits with enough methanol to do damage. Most of this is propaganda left over from prohibition.
Deaths from home distilled spirits are rare and almost always are due to spirits cut with other chemicals including industrial grade methanol. Arsenic has also been used due to its hallucinogenic properties as well as avgas.
We are products of what we see and hear in the media. They are sadly not in the business of truth but sell story. Home distillation is probably one of the safer "hobbies"

I can for sure tell you that in short order with a bit of research any average Joe can make better spirits at home than anything you can buy. Without question....also without hangover

Lead Loader
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post by Lead Loader » 4 years ago

Methanol is not to worry, it is present in less then 1% and gets thrown out for the first shot glass amount in a 5 gallon amount distilled to about 2.4L total. the first 1-200ML is garbage anyways known as heads(basically powerfull bitter horrible tasting esters in it), the middle 75% is what you keep, and last is so low and into other fusils and esters that taste bitter and bleh. Industrial alcohol during prohibition had methanol added as a deterrent from drinking it but during prohibition it got stolen and sold as hooch.
Beer, Beer, Beer, Bed, Bed, Bed