Guiness Poutine

Share your favourite homebrew recipes with other Canadian Home Brewers.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Guiness Poutine

Post by Venari »

I'm going to assume that this subforum is also good for recipes made WITH beer.

I found this sinfully delicious looking recipe online (http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/guin ... r-the-soul).

Soon as I can make myself some more guiness, I'll give it a go :)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup finely minced onion
2 teaspoons strong Dijon mustard (like Maille)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup chicken stock (can substitute vegetable broth)
1 cup Guinness Draught
salt and pepper to taste

To Serve:
3-4 cups baked or fried french fries
1/2 cup cold white cheese curds

Make the gravy. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in the mustard.

Mix 1/4 cup of the stock with the cornstarch. Set aside. Slowly stir in the remaining stock and the Guinness into the onions. Stir in the cornstarch mix and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the gravy comes to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until it just starts to thicken (poutine gravy should be on the thinner side, but you can always make a thicker gravy with a bit more cornstarch or cooking longer). Season to taste.

Plate hot fries and top with cheese curds. Pour the gravy over the top. Serve immediately.

Makes 3-4 servings poutine.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Guiness Poutine

Post by Reignman »

Looks great. Thanks. I am going to make a stout in Dec. so I'll give this a try.

Cheers,

Reignman

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

Looks good but if it were me, I wouldn't use cornstarch to thicken. I'd fry the onion in the butter, then add some flour to form a roux. Once a paste is formed, add the stock, beer and mustard. Bring the whole lot to a boil, stirring frequently. Once its thick, make poutine.

Cornstarch gives a opaque glossiness that's more reserved for Chinese food whereas the flour will make a nice solid coloured gravy.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

interesting post Smokey. I am an ok cook, but my brother-in-law is a classically trained French chef who always reprimanded me for using flour in my roux. He said to use corn starch because it doesn't impart a flavor. The French do some good sauces! Yours does look good though.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

I'm also a classically trained chef lol. Just goes to show that every chef will have a different way of doing everything. I personally just don't like gravy that's thickened with cornstarch. Its not smooth and creamy to me, it always seems too thin or if its thick enough, its kinda globy (think sweet and sour sauce) lol. I also don't think that flour will add any flavor to you're sauce. As long as you boil it out for a while the flour cooks out and there shouldn't be any flavor or mouth feel left. To each his own, I guess.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

I'm with you there Smokey...

The only draw back with a roux is that you need to cook it for a really long time before it is ready and the flavour is cooked off. I guess corn starch is the "quicker" method...

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio »

+1 to flour for roux in gravy. Way better end result.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4: