Wort chiller

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
Shown3d
Favourite Beer: Craft

Wort chiller

Post by Shown3d » 2 months ago

Hi
I just recently purchased a stainless steel wort chiller. I’m using it for the first time today and I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep the water cold and get the wort chilled faster?
It’s working better than when I just put the pot in the sink with ice water but not as fast as I thought it would be.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: Wort chiller

Post by ECH » 2 months ago

I use a cooler full of water with a couple bags of ice cubes (3 actually), and a cheap pond pump from Amazon.

Put 2 bags of ice in the cooler, fill it up to start your brew day, drop in the pond pump, pump the water through your chiller, back into the cooler. 2 bags of ice and a full cooler usually gets me down to about 40C from boiling, add in the 3rd bag of ice bring it the rest of the way.

Plus, cooler doubles to keep your brew day drinking beer cold during the process.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 2 months ago

Fastest chilling is a plate chiller followed by a counterflow chiller. Both have drawbacks. I used to use a homemade counterflow but i accidently froze it, one pass through chiller by gravity to the fermentor would usually over chill my wort. (1/2 hour cooling)
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Shown3d
Favourite Beer: Craft

Post by Shown3d » 2 months ago

Hi Ech

That was what I was pretty much doing except I forgot to use a cooler. I think I also started too soon with the ice water but maybe with the cooler it will keep the water colder longer. I also bought a pond pump at Canadian Tire for about $20 and it works great. Got that idea from a YouTube video as I didn’t like the idea of wasting a ton of water.
Again thanks for the help I am going to try it again with the cooler today when I do another brew.