Taps

Discuss homebrewing equipment in this forum dedicated to the tools we use to make the booze.
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Taps

Post by ECH »

Getting pieces into place to finally get into kegging my beer, and was looking at taps.

Anyone buy and use the taps seen on Wish?And if you have, what has been your experience with them?

Ones I am seeing look "similar" to a Perlick or Intertap with the flow control, but are less than half the price.

Just wondering if they are worth it or not. Sometimes the deal can be too good to be true.

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Re: Taps

Post by Dave »

link?

ECH

Post by ECH »

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX »

They have many beer taps in China after all, so I'm sure they'll work just fine. They can't all be using perlicks.

They aren't complicated devices, I would be curious about the materials used.

*shrug*

Homebrewing is a relatively small niche market. If at all possible, consider supporting one of our Canadian dealers. Maybe they'd be willing to come down in price a bit if you explain that money is tight but you'd like to support them. Judging by your signature, I'm sure you "get it".

And if you buy here, you get it much sooner :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

ECH

Post by ECH »

I have plenty of places around I can buy them at here, but at double the price.

I get it, being a small business owner myself, but if someone comes along and says hey, I can get it for half the price here instead of buying it from you, I would understand.

I don't expect them to be the same quality, but they are just for a home keezer and not taps at a bar.

I am just curious if anyone has used these, and how they are working for them.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Those look the same as the budget taps sold by many brewshops here in Canada. Obviously I cannot guarantee that this is the case, but there are a lot of budget taps out there, all with the same (or, at least, very similar) design. I have two of them on my keezer - the other three being entry-level perlicks.

Assuming they are the same as my budget taps, then they will do the job but have their issues. The biggest problem is that there is a large area after the valve, and as a consequence these taps are prone to dripping, getting gummed up, and mould. Basically, after each pour a small amount of beer stays in the spout, and will both drip out over the next hour or so, and/or dry out, and/or start to mould. This can lead to the tap sticking (usually if its not used for a week or so), and every once in the while a blob of mould coming out with a pour.

The solutions to these problems are simple - use a drip-tray, and rinse out the spout at the end of any day they are used (a little bit of starsan in a spray bottle works great). That said, I use one these taps for carbonated water, and the other as the last-ditch beer tap, which may give you an idea of how inconvenient they are compared to a better quality tap.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

ECH

Post by ECH »

Thanks!

Warthaug wrote:
|25 Nov 2019|, 09:03
Those look the same as the budget taps sold by many brewshops here in Canada. Obviously I cannot guarantee that this is the case, but there are a lot of budget taps out there, all with the same (or, at least, very similar) design. I have two of them on my keezer - the other three being entry-level perlicks.

Assuming they are the same as my budget taps, then they will do the job but have their issues. The biggest problem is that there is a large area after the valve, and as a consequence these taps are prone to dripping, getting gummed up, and mould. Basically, after each pour a small amount of beer stays in the spout, and will both drip out over the next hour or so, and/or dry out, and/or start to mould. This can lead to the tap sticking (usually if its not used for a week or so), and every once in the while a blob of mould coming out with a pour.

The solutions to these problems are simple - use a drip-tray, and rinse out the spout at the end of any day they are used (a little bit of starsan in a spray bottle works great). That said, I use one these taps for carbonated water, and the other as the last-ditch beer tap, which may give you an idea of how inconvenient they are compared to a better quality tap.

Bryan