BABY HOPS!! - MAKING A BASIC TRELLIS

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

BABY HOPS!! - MAKING A BASIC TRELLIS

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

Nexia (GDB) updates the growth progress of his hop rhizomes (babies). Shows you how to make a simple, inexpensive trellis system for your potted hop plants. Look forward to your comments. Please like, share & Sub!! Thumbs up! Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Es4552Hlw
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: BABY HOPS!! - MAKING A BASIC TRELLIS

Post by Doc_Drive »

Nicely done!

I only see one problem... You have your Chinook (?, the one on the far left) going up and the string mates with the hops next to it at your roof line... Might get too tangled later on in the season - I'd mate the string per pot at your roof line and try to avoid crossing over to other varieties...

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 »

nice little babies nex,you have lots of room along your house so as doc suggested,spread them out as the side arms will tangle with each other,not so critical this year,but next year you should get cones and you want them at least 5 feet apart.

good job though and the plants are coming along nicely.

:D
:cheers: nexia

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing »

Thank you for your comments guys. While the plants were small I had to push my planters together in order to protect them from the neighbourhood deer as they grow I will spread them out better. The nice thing about using these hooks is that the guides aren't fixed in place so I can spread the planters out a little. This year I was expecting the plants to not have a massive growth, in the mean time I have been busy clearing a permanent space to plant them in the soil at the rear of my property for next year. Great advice guys and thank you for watching my video too. Cheers
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Doc_Drive

Post by Doc_Drive »

My Hallertau did 15+ feet in its first year until the freak snowstorm in September...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Like Doc said, you may be surprised just how much growth you get in the first year. My cascades and goldings both hit the tops of their trellises (~6m) in their first year. Didn't get many hops though. In their second year they got to the same hight more quickly, and bushed out quite a bit, and produced a bunch of hops. This year is year 3 and I'm curious to see what they do this time around.

A few other nuggets of info that I've learned...

1) Trim all of the leaves off of the bottom 2' of the bines once the hops reach the top of the trellis - this will greatly reduce the risk of getting several fungal diseases that can trash your plants (they splash up from the dirt during rainfall), and also helps to "hide" the hops from some insects.

2) Fertilize (chemical or compost) at the beginning of the season, and a second time when cones start forming. You'll get a lot more hops this way.

3) Once you've got the desired bines trained to climb your trellis, cut all other bines right back to the soil. I let the bottom bines grow on the ground my first two years (thinking more leaves = more/stronger growth), and aside from making one hell of a mess, a professional hop farmer informed me that I also stunted hop production (d'oh).

4) If you can, do not cut down the bines to harvest. I picked from a ladder my second year - aside from being able to grab the hops as they hit their peak quality, I also ended up getting a second round of cones from the goldings. Damn near doubled my harvest.

5) Water in the morning, so the plants are dry come evening - again, helps keep down the fungal infections and bugs.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 »

Very good advice warthaug ,generally i trim the bottom 4-5 feet of leaves,cranog ales suggests using green manure strait from the animals a__ if you can get it,my bro grew a few plants 2 years ago and used mushroom manure compost and his 2nd year cascades did fabulous.

:cheers: all

Frugalcanuck

Post by Frugalcanuck »

Would the plastic hooks for Christmas lights work on the eaves trough?

Chicco
Favourite Beer: amber ale

Post by Chicco »

nice set up GDB! just how do you guys keep the hops during the winter? do you cover em up like a greenhouse? i'm also thinking of growing my own but I'm here in Winterpeg, I don't know if it will survive. Cheers!

Doc_Drive

Post by Doc_Drive »

If you have them in the ground, no problem, just cut the bines a foot or so above the ground, the plant will be fine.

If you have it in a pot, I've seen some people burying the pot after they cut down the plant and then take it out of the ground again once they're through the thick of it...