rhizomes

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

rhizomes

Post by ruf1 »

Just a quick note to thank everyone who ordered rhizomes this year,sales were really good this year and i appreciate the orders that you guys made.
I will likely pull my ads from local advertising as sales are very slow now,remaining zomes will be potted for local sales next year.

Again,thanks so much for your orders :bow: .......and have a hoppy growing season.

:rockon: :D :stirpot:

RUF1

D_Rickards
Favourite Beer: Porter

Re: rhizomes

Post by D_Rickards »

Hey ruf...just wondering about my rhizomes. I started them in pots about 2 weeks ago and I have no signs of growth yet.

Just wondering if I managed to kill them, or if I just need to be patient?

Thanks,
DR

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

DOn't know where you're located, but I'd give them some time. They are super tough to kill. They might just need some time to acclimatize.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 »

hi d_rickards

give them some time as doc suggested and dont water them too much,the soil only needs to be
damp to the touch.
are they inside or outside in colder temps? if in colder temps try to set up some plastic covering to make a mini green house with just a little bit of ventilation.

good luck,hope this helps.

ruf1

:cheers:

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro »

They will start, this is the cascade in a month after sprouting

Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

D_Rickards
Favourite Beer: Porter

Post by D_Rickards »

Thanks all. I've got them inside in 1gal pots and live in the GTA. I figured I just need to be patient, but it is hard to do so when I see so many pics.

Once these get going I'm planting them on my friends farm, we have unlimited well water and fertilizer (3 horses and a mule) with nice drained sandy loam and a south exposure. We are building a 15foot trellis based on a T design. I'm looking forward to harvesting my own hops!

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

I haven't even planted mine (will be soon) as we have had about 2ft of snow in my back yard up until about 2-3 weeks ago, and has been cold and rainy ever since. And since the ones I had last year from Ruf grew huge in the house (making them hard to transplant outside) I was holding off until the weather turned and we got some "spring" like weather, which it seems to be starting this weekend!

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

Just planted the ones I got from Ruf, hopefully I didn't wait too long.

The 2 Mt. Hood I got last year I think died, pulled them out of where I had the pots stored, and there was no growth at all showing, while the other 4 had lots. Let the Hoods sit out in the sun for about a week, and dug around the root, and still no growth to be seen, and they felt pretty soft.

Thankfully I had to Centennial and 2 Citra to replace them with from Ruf.

Now speaking of the others, they are still potted, (5 gal buckets) need to get them in the ground soon, all of them have lots of new shoots coming on them, and I know I am supposed to cut most of them off and have it concentrate its energy into a few shoots...but how many? 1? 2?, 3?

2nd year plants, and they are looking very healthy!!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

I'm training 3 shoots from my second year plant...

That seems to be the standard. ..

Darkcoder

Post by Darkcoder »

ECH wrote:Thankfully I had to Centennial and 2 Citra to replace them with from Ruf.

Citra ?!? Really ?? Were they smuggled from a grower ? This is a private cultivar not available to the public.