rhizomes

Growing hops, fruits, spices, herbs, or anything else you plan on throwing into your brew? Tell us about it!
ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Re: rhizomes

Post by ECH »

Darkcoder wrote:
ECH wrote:Thankfully I had to Centennial and 2 Citra to replace them with from Ruf.

Citra ?!? Really ?? Were they smuggled from a grower ? This is a private cultivar not available to the public.
Yeah, messed that up, supposed to be Centennial and Cascade.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 »

ECH wrote:Just planted the ones I got from Ruf, hopefully I didn't wait too long.

The 2 Mt. Hood I got last year I think died, pulled them out of where I had the pots stored, and there was no growth at all showing, while the other 4 had lots. Let the Hoods sit out in the sun for about a week, and dug around the root, and still no growth to be seen, and they felt pretty soft.

Thankfully I had to Centennial and 2 Citra to replace them with from Ruf.

Now speaking of the others, they are still potted, (5 gal buckets) need to get them in the ground soon, all of them have lots of new shoots coming on them, and I know I am supposed to cut most of them off and have it concentrate its energy into a few shoots...but how many? 1? 2?, 3?

2nd year plants, and they are looking very healthy!!

I generally let 4-6 bines grow from each plant,you may choose to grow only 3-4 until your plants mature, 3rd - 4th year growth should support 4-6 no problem.

Your mount hoods didnt make it through the winter hey,hard feezing conditions ? No drain holes in your pots to let excess water out?

My 4th year mt hoods this year are way behind the fuggle,hoods are 4 feet,fuggles are aprox 12 feet high. dont know what the heck is going on with the hoods ?

Good luck this year Scott.

:cheers:

ECH

Post by ECH »

ruf1 wrote:
ECH wrote:Just planted the ones I got from Ruf, hopefully I didn't wait too long.

The 2 Mt. Hood I got last year I think died, pulled them out of where I had the pots stored, and there was no growth at all showing, while the other 4 had lots. Let the Hoods sit out in the sun for about a week, and dug around the root, and still no growth to be seen, and they felt pretty soft.

Thankfully I had to Centennial and 2 Citra to replace them with from Ruf.

Now speaking of the others, they are still potted, (5 gal buckets) need to get them in the ground soon, all of them have lots of new shoots coming on them, and I know I am supposed to cut most of them off and have it concentrate its energy into a few shoots...but how many? 1? 2?, 3?

2nd year plants, and they are looking very healthy!!

I generally let 4-6 bines grow from each plant,you may choose to grow only 3-4 until your plants mature, 3rd - 4th year growth should support 4-6 no problem.

Your mount hoods didnt make it through the winter hey,hard feezing conditions ? No drain holes in your pots to let excess water out?

My 4th year mt hoods this year are way behind the fuggle,hoods are 4 feet,fuggles are aprox 12 feet high. dont know what the heck is going on with the hoods ?

Good luck this year Scott.

The pots they were in were normal pots, and should have drained well, meanwhile the other 4 were basically in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom.

All of them were under our deck covered with a tarp, got no snow on them at all, only difference was that the 2 pots with the Mt. Hood was on top of a table, while the other 4 were under the table on the ground. The 4 in the 5 gallon buckets all had growth on them when I uncovered them, but nothing on the Mt. Hood, and after a week in the sun showed no growth when I dug them.

Was going to put the other 4 in the ground, but my CFO (aka wife) says there isn't money in the budget to rebuild the fence this year (was going to use a couple of 12ft 4X4 posts as part of the fence to run lines up to), so they will stay in the buckets for one more year.

Literally growing like bad (but in this case good) weeds. Hope I will get enough cones from the 2 Chinooks to do something with this year. Fuggles and Golding will have to see what I get.

Last year, I got about 8-10 cones off of one Chinook plant (not that I was expecting any). See if I can double that this year! LOL

ECH

Post by ECH »

Of course each plant last year only had one runner, more plentiful and much thicker runners this year.

Got to get some decent cord for guide lines! Jute just didn't cut it.

ruf1

Post by ruf1 »

ECH wrote:Of course each plant last year only had one runner, more plentiful and much thicker runners this year.

Got to get some decent cord for guide lines! Jute just didn't cut it.

Yup,jute isnt good enough for hops,i use the poly strings from hay bales,hit up your local farming community in your area and see if you can pick up a bunch for free.

Good luck with the hops this year.

ECH

Post by ECH »

OK, plants trimmed to 3 bines each and run up the lines. Saddened me to give them such a drastic "hair cut", with only 3 bines each now, they look kinda pathetic, but I know the outcome will be worth it.

Dumb question though....do you run each of those bines up a separate line? Or all the same line? I just wrapped them all around the one line for each plant and went with that, I assume that is what is supposed to be done. What happens when you get to a 3rd or 4th year plant and you have 4-6 bines? Run them all up the same line?

Now here is something that my wife actually mentioned....anyone ever take the bines you clipped off and try to root them? My wife seems to think it should be like any other plant, put it in a glass of water and let it root. Going to give it a try, worse that happens, it doesn't work, and I am out a glass of water! LOL

ruf1

Post by ruf1 »

ECH wrote:OK, plants trimmed to 3 bines each and run up the lines. Saddened me to give them such a drastic "hair cut", with only 3 bines each now, they look kinda pathetic, but I know the outcome will be worth it.

Dumb question though....do you run each of those bines up a separate line? Or all the same line? I just wrapped them all around the one line for each plant and went with that, I assume that is what is supposed to be done. What happens when you get to a 3rd or 4th year plant and you have 4-6 bines? Run them all up the same line?

Now here is something that my wife actually mentioned....anyone ever take the bines you clipped off and try to root them? My wife seems to think it should be like any other plant, put it in a glass of water and let it root. Going to give it a try, worse that happens, it doesn't work, and I am out a glass of water! LOL

Run all the bines up the same string,providing you have strong string. Same for 4-6 bines= strong strings.

Some times a cutting can be dipped in root tone hormone powder and started in water saturated soil for a while,i have never tried growing with that method,i believe docdrive mentioned it before in another thread.

good luck scott

Ruf1

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Yup, I'm having 2 clones of my Hallertau sending out roots right now... A clone of the mother plant... It's a great use if you have young plants with too many shoots and you don't want to dig up rhizomes...

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB »

I've cut so very many clones...

Oh, hops? Nevermind.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Haha