HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
gmac

Re: HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Post by gmac » 8 years ago

When did you measure your OG? Pre-boil OG of 1.040 will be about 1.052 when you boil down to 5 US gals. Also remember that most of the beer things out there seem to be based on US gal and our gal is larger so you could skew your gravity readings with that or other measuring issues.
Does that supplier carry liquid yeast? Wyeast 1056 is the actual strain that Sierra Nevada uses and I'd get that if they carried it. More expensive though. I'm sure that the yeast you used will be fantastic though.

One of the keys to SNPA's flavour is the generous addition of Cascade hops at flameout to get a lot of hop aroma. What did this include for hops? I'm doing an American Pale Ale right now. 8.5 lbs pale malt, 1 lb corn, 0.5 lbs crystal 45 and 1 tbsp of black patent at sparge. 1 oz of Centennial at 60, 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at flameout and I may add 1 oz in the primary to dry hop. APAs take a lot of hops to hit style.

9am53

Post by 9am53 » 8 years ago

I took the OG when everything was in the bucket and mixed. I aerated with my drill for a few minutes and got a really big foam from it, then I took the OG from the spigot. The kit came with 1 oz of Perle at 45 and 1 oz of cascade at flameout. I did take the OG when the wort was at about 100 degrees though, not sure if that messes things up too. I think I am going to get another hydrometer, not that I think they can wear out, but mine has been suspect from day one.
Primary: Brown Ale
Secondary: Plzen that is lagering
Keg: Irish Red
Bottle: Plzen
In The Mail: Nothing

blacktiebrewing

Post by blacktiebrewing » 8 years ago

Temperature makes a pretty huge difference as each hydrometer is calibrated for a certain temperature. You either need to take a reading at the calibration temp
or you need to use a calculation to correct for the difference.
Here's a video outlining the basics of using a hydrometer that I found pretty useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQt7HiObuU

Cheers
Ty
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 » 8 years ago

Here's a simple webpage that I use. You just plug in your OG/FG, temerature of the wort/beer and it spews out the ABV for you, and for those who are watching their waist line, the number of calories per 12oz bottle.

http://www.dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

gmac

Post by gmac » 8 years ago

I have an app on my iPod called Brewmath that does a lot of this including adjusting for temp.
1.040 at 100F is actually 1.046 at 60 which is where most hydrometers are calculated. Closer for sure.

9am53

Thanks a lot guys, I will see if there is a similar app for my BB.

blacktiebrewing

Post by blacktiebrewing » 8 years ago

If you find a good one let me know. ;)
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

9am53

blacktiebrewing wrote:If you find a good one let me know. ;)
Go through this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/blackbe ... ndex3.html

There is a BJCP app that is a nice reference, but no calculator (just type in BJCP into BB app world, it's free) and then there is the "sort of" BB app which is really a website that sort of works like an app... www.bbrewapp.com it can be accessed from any smartphone, or computer. I saved it to my bookmarks, played with it for a while and since there are no ads or any fluff it loads fast, and apparently when you "submit" recipes or do calculations you choose to email yourself the results, or I think i read that you can save them to the phone, I haven't played with it enoughy yet to know for sure though, I jsut found it today.

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 8 years ago

I'm giving this places kits a try too.
I just ordered the Octoberfest, and the Irish red extract kits been considering them for a month or so.
I was concerned the site is looking a little sparse lately, the reply I got to my email was "I've actually started the process of shutting things down for a while as I will be heading to brewing school in Chicago for a few months in September. As a result I've taken down the kits as they are more time consuming to assemble and I'm about to start the inventory blow-out."
So will also let you know how these kits turn out. May take my time with them to make sure they have a little time in the bottle before tasting day though

9am53

My fermentation seems to be going slowly, but I have come to expect that from my bucket. I will say that the top of my airlock smells really nice and hoppy! Those cascade hops are fantastic!