HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
9am53

Re: HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Post by 9am53 »

ok I lied, I checked my sg on friday and got 1010, almost done!!! I am going to check it tonight and hope to rack to secondary on wednesday. The best news though is that the graduated cylinder I drank after testing gravity was fantastic! I did notice that it stuck in the back of my throat a bit though, but this could be due to me having a cold and sore throat. Sofar this kit is doing pretty good!
Primary: Brown Ale
Secondary: Plzen that is lagering
Keg: Irish Red
Bottle: Plzen
In The Mail: Nothing

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I checked on it yesterday and sg is now 1005, I figured there is little reason to wait any longer for it to drop, so I racked it to secondary to take it off the cake of grains and hops I accidentally added to the primary bucket. Again, I tried it out, and that lingering in the back of my throat is gone, the beer is great! I took my bucket outside to spray and clean it with the hose and I caught my neighbor with his nose in the trub with a big smile on his face :) "Floral and spicey" is what he said, I'm happy with that.

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I kegged it yesterday, 2 weeks after brew day. I let it carbonate overnight and the final result, even though it has not finished carbonating is WOW! Even with it being sort of flat, the head is great and the retention is great. I was sniffing the hop packs and the grain before and after brewing, so I really got a "nose" for them now, and now that I am drinking the beer I can really taste and smell the great ingredients. This is a great kit that I will for sure get again. I am also going to try the other ones out, give them a try for sure!

Jack

Post by Jack »

How close is it to the real thing?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I have never had the real thing, I never travel to the states, but it tastes great. A friend of mine who is a big fan of SNPA is going to try it though and let me know.

Tony

Post by Tony »

SNPA is the bomb. I absolutly love it.
If anyone can make a lit taste like it, i would definatly buy it.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never tried the real thing myself but i've heard so many people rave about it that i wanted to try a clone but there are so many recipes out there.

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I don't know if it tastes like the real thing, but I can say that it is a really nice pale ale. This is my first beer that I can say tastes really delicious.

Jack

Post by Jack »

My wife and kids are leaving for the weekend and i'll finally have the time to brew the Steam Beer kit from IHB that i received a couple of weeks ago. I'm noticing more and more just how cidery and crappy my last few bottles really are from the extract kits i had made. I still have the Festa Pilsner and Cream Ale on tap and tomorrow i'll be bottling the "souped up" Muntons Pilsner kit that i helped my friend make, but i can hear the all-grain calling me, begging to be brewed (and drank!).

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

There is no cidery taste, it really is a great beer, regardless of if it is true to the original. Try it out!