HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Jack

Re: HomeBrewGearCanada extract kits?

Post by Jack »

The kits i mentioned were the first 3 canned extract kits i had made before i learned how to freshen them up. I just went by the instructions and used dextrose, higher fermenting temp, etc. They seemed ok at first but since i made the Festa kits it showed me how crappy the others really were. I'm WAY past ready for allgrain.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

SunyJim

Brewday for the Oktoberfest

Post by SunyJim »

Brewday today for my Oktoberfest kit. This is my first actual extract kit, I've done Coopers kit beer, I've added hops and DME and had some pretty good beer, but this is the first boiling of grain.
Went really well until I broke my long handled spoon. Since i'm planning to go to all grain I took the chance and replaced it with a metal paddle from a kitchen supply store. A little large at 2 ft long for the stove, but outside I think it will work great when I finally do all grain.
Anyway kit came with 3kg of DME, small bag of hops for 60min addition (not sure what kind), and a bag of mixed steeping grain, with a muslin bag. Since my basement is about 20C and I think I can keep the fermenter at 18C, Spencer from Home brewgear Canada recommended Mauribrew Lager 497 Yeast.
Tied the bag very loosely for the grain, followed all the instructions, was a lot more fun than boil water, pour extract can, pitch yeast and set fermenter that I had been doing. A lot more like actually brewing beer.
A lot of hot break and hops in the wort, ended up straining it through a strainer into the fermenter, will have to use a smaller grain bag for the hop pellets next time.
Recipe said to expect OG at 1056-1058 ended up a little higher at 1064

So that's it for now, I expect this will take a while, yeast info says "When the temperature is below 20°C (68°F) the rate of fermentation proceeds in a more controlled fashion and at a reduced rate. Over 20C is 5 days" So I'm going to give it 2 weeks before poking in on it to see what the gravity is at.

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

cool, I am interested in how yours turns out!
Primary: Brown Ale
Secondary: Plzen that is lagering
Keg: Irish Red
Bottle: Plzen
In The Mail: Nothing

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I just got the review from m buddy. He said it was a fantastic beer, (he gave me a dozen grolsch bottles to make him more) he said the flavour was similar to the SNPA, but not enough hops. Apparently the real one slaps you in the face with hops, and leaves a hop aftertaste for quite some time after drinking, he said mine was nice and hoppy but smooth, and the taste doesn't linger on the pallete after swallowing as much. I think I will double the hops, and maybe mix them up a bit timing wise.

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

Took my time making this, a month in the fermenter to allow it to clear,
gelatin finings to help even further
then 3 weeks in the bottles to age. Octoberfest is a winner! Nice redish brown, great head, stunningly clear. And the smell and Taste was fantastic, not that background astringent or slight cider taste of the kit beers, just wow flavour.

Can't wait to brew my Irish red now!

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim »

The family can't stop raving about how much they like this Octoberfest Extract recipe beer!
Got a real winner here! :D

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

Anybody know when they are back in business? I thought the guy would be back by now...

birvine

Post by birvine »

9am53 wrote:Anybody know when they are back in business? I thought the guy would be back by now...
It seems to me Spencer has gone away to school. Not sure when or if he'll be back in business.

B
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

I ordered from him back when he was leaving for brewing school, and was told he would be back this month. I really want another of his kits :)

birvine

Post by birvine »

Check with some of the suppliers here on the forum because chances are they can provide something similar, too.

B
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery