Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
donaldrstewart

Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Post by donaldrstewart » 7 years ago

I hate to start another one of those threads but...
In the past I have usually worked with pre-hopped can kits. Lately though I have switched to extract, adding my own hops. I am of the old school with a week or so in the primary, and then a couple of weeks in the secondary, and then keg or bottle.
Without going into too much detail, because of time, work, and family contraints, I have decided to go with a Festa Brew this time with a single primary of about 3 weeks and then into a keg (with maybe a few bottles).
Festa Brew recommends both a primary and a secondary fermenation.
Does anyone see any harm with skipping the secondary?

Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Re: Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Post by Stubrew » 7 years ago

Very few folks use a secondary. Only if planning a looong secondary, or if adding fruit, etc. Leaving it in the primary wont hurt a thing.
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 » 7 years ago

I second that.
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

birvine

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

From time to time I still brew Brew House kits (same thing as FB) and that is exactly what I do. Long primary, no secondary. Sometimes I swap out the yeast plus add dry hopping at the end. They turn out great.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

donaldrstewart

Post by donaldrstewart » 7 years ago

Being old school, primary and secondary always worked. I don't like messing with a good thing. Having said that, I know that a single stage fermentation is quite accepable these days.
Also with the Festa kits one doesn't have to worry about trub from the boil etc. The wort is basically cleared already. Only the waste from the actual brew process is generated, nothing from the boil, hop additions etc.
I just hate going against the "instructions". I'm sure once I do it for that first time I will wonder what the worry was all about.

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 7 years ago

IMHO, there are more potential concerns using a secondary than not. But like you said stick with what works for you.

Mr Frugal
Favourite Beer: PBR

Post by Mr Frugal » 7 years ago

I've being using the FB kits for about five years now, and, up until recently, always used a secondary. On advice from forum members here, I decided to try primary only. I've done four FB kits so far, and have had no issues with off flavours whatsoever. The only "issue" I've run into has been with using 23L glass carboys instead of pails. The kits fill the carboys right up to the neck, and the foam blow off is substantial.

birvine

Mr Frugal wrote:The only "issue" I've run into has been with using 23L glass carboys instead of pails. The kits fill the carboys right up to the neck, and the foam blow off is substantial.
I ferment in a carboy, too, and a blow-off tube solves that issue.

Brent

Mr Frugal
Favourite Beer: PBR

Post by Mr Frugal » 7 years ago

birvine wrote:
Mr Frugal wrote:The only "issue" I've run into has been with using 23L glass carboys instead of pails. The kits fill the carboys right up to the neck, and the foam blow off is substantial.
I ferment in a carboy, too, and a blow-off tube solves that issue.

Brent
I used the main body of an airlock and jammed some tubing onto it, then ran it into a bucket with water in it.
I think I'm going to have to modify some bungs by drilling them out and using a short length of 1/2" copper pipe and larger diameter vinyl tubing. Although, I'm not sure if that will solve the problem or not, and I don't want to spend $20 on more vinyl tubing.

birvine

Mr Frugal wrote:I used the main body of an airlock and jammed some tubing onto it, then ran it into a bucket with water in it.
+1

Brent