Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
generaltao
Favourite Beer: Stout - Guiness

Re: Single stage brewing and Festa Brew

Post by generaltao » 7 years ago

Argh! The simplicity of the pail with spigot is drawing me in close! But I just got a couple of new carboys!
Fermenting 1: Warthaug's Bad Santa
Fermenting 2: Sleeman Cream Ale Clone

Tap 1: Nothing
Tap 2: General Tao's Broo Verona Velvet - Chocolate Coffee Sweet Stout
Tap 3: Nothing

Planning: Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale Revisited Ressurection, Pucker Face Citrus IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Hard Cider, and many more.

General Tao's Broo Brewery

donaldrstewart

Post by donaldrstewart » 7 years ago

Canuck.
That is pretty much the exact setup that my LHBS is suggesting. I probably will give it a go.
I also keg, so transfering is a non issue. Whatever is left after the keg is full usually goes into
some PET bottles. With those it's not much of a problem to spoon prime them individually.

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 7 years ago

donaldrstewart wrote:Canuck.
That is pretty much the exact setup that my LHBS is suggesting. I probably will give it a go.
I also keg, so transfering is a non issue. Whatever is left after the keg is full usually goes into
some PET bottles. With those it's not much of a problem to spoon prime them individually.
It's a personal preference thing. Some prefer carboys, but I MUCH prefer plastic pails with spigots. I find they are a lot easier to handle, you can install spigots on them, and are cheaper. The ones that I purchase shown in this thread have the graduated markings as well, which I find quite handy. At the end of the day, there is no wrong choice. :)

GuingesRock

Post by GuingesRock » 7 years ago

Canuck wrote:
Stubrew wrote:I only do 20L batches so use the carboy mostly, only doing the bigger beers in the bucket, those I expect to go nuts.
I like to see whats happening occasionally, and cant do that in a bucket. Too many questions, like is the krausen falling? How much trub is there? Etc
Stu, other than the SS Conical, this is what I use for my primary fermenters. You can still see what's going on inside like trub, krausen, etc.

Hello Canuck, I just came across this thread. Very interesting. Where did you find that opaque bucket with the markings please. It looks like it's made of polypropylene too, which would be my favorite choice for plastic. Also looking for a smaller bucket for two gallon batches.

Thanks

GuingesRock

Post by GuingesRock » 7 years ago

I guess it is clear, not opaque. Just finished my morning coffee and woke up.

Bob
Favourite Beer: Belgian Wit

Post by Bob » 6 years ago

Canuck wrote:
donaldrstewart wrote:At the suggestion of my LHBS I was considering the following: Taking an ordinary 30L pail and lid, drilling the lid for a bung and air lock and drilling a hole in the bottom of the pail, just above the trub line and installing a plastic spigot.
This allows for easy filling and cleaning, and easy transfer to a keg or bottles. It would be minimal cost, easier to work with, and eliminate the risk of handling heavy glass carboys on my concrete basement floor. Plus, after dealing with some personal health issues, I am getting a little more careful and always looking for an easier or more efficient way of doing things. And I'm getting lazy
That's a great idea and I do the exact same. I've installed spigots in all of my fermenters. It definitely makes things MUCH easier!
If I may add, make sure the pail is food grade, indicated by a "2" in the recycle triangle and/or letter H.D.P.E. Food grade has to be white or milky, and the molecule chains don't break off into the neighboring molecules like other plastics.

MitchD73
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by MitchD73 » 6 years ago

I used to do a 2 week secondary to help me with clearing the beer before kegging; but now I just bring my beer down to 2-4 degrees and use 1 tsp of gelatin in the primary for 4 days or so and then rack over to your keg. This will produce crystal clear beer right away.