First OBK kit

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Duff
Favourite Beer: Keiths

First OBK kit

Post by Duff » 6 years ago

I know this has been addressed many times throughout different threads, but I need to hear some opinions. I did my first extract kit (from OBK, Light Ale) this past Sunday and directly pitched the yeast to my wert (Safale S04 I think, maybe 5).

Fermentation did start 12-24 hours after pitching but there was very little activity after the first day or 2. It was no where near as aggressive as I've seen in kits like BrewHouse ones. I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast? I dare say it's underpitched, but I don't have much brewing experience yet. I do have some yeast ready to go in the fridge, but it is not the same type. I probably should have re-hydrated? :S

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Re: First OBK kit

Post by Canuck » 6 years ago

Have you taken a gravity reading yet to see where it's currently at?

Duff

Canuck wrote:Have you taken a gravity reading yet to see where it's currently at?
I have not :/ I accidentally broke my hydrometer with the last batch I made.

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 6 years ago

Do you happen to have a LHBS up your way that you could pick up another one? I don't think that I'd pitch more yeast until you know where you're at gravity wise.

Completely off topic, do you have any plans on coming down my way in the near future? It would be great to hook for a beer or two. :)

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 6 years ago

You definitely under-pitched, as dumping dry yeast directly into wort will kill half of them right off the bat.

That said, the damage is done, and it sounds like they've gotten a foothold and gotten to work fermenting the beer. At this point, I'd leave it alone and watch your temperatures.

Next time, yes, you should definitely rehydrate dry yeast (in boiled and cooled plain water) before adding it to the wort. But this batch should still turn out perfectly drinkable.

gm-
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Post by gm- » 6 years ago

S-04 can be a bit sneaky, not as vigorous as US-05. I am sure the beer will be fine, just remember to rehydrate next time.

Also, did you aerate the wort before you pitched? That can help too.
Coming up: Dubbel
Fermenting:
On tap: Cucumber Saison / Simcoe MO SMaSH

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 6 years ago

gm- wrote:Also, did you aerate the wort before you pitched? That can help too.
Recent research indicates aeration is unnecessary with dry yeasts. It's only necessary for liquid yeast and when repitching washed/rinsed yeast slurries or starters.

Duff

Canuck wrote:Do you happen to have a LHBS up your way that you could pick up another one? I don't think that I'd pitch more yeast until you know where you're at gravity wise.

Completely off topic, do you have any plans on coming down my way in the near future? It would be great to hook for a beer or two. :)
Yes, I plan to grab a new one tonight...and YES.... I will be down Fri, May 17th. I'm doing an annual canoe run on the Kennebecasis Sat-Monday. Might be able to get away for a bit Friday night, I'll be travelling with some friends so we could meet at a local pub.
gm- wrote:S-04 can be a bit sneaky, not as vigorous as US-05. I am sure the beer will be fine, just remember to rehydrate next time.

Also, did you aerate the wort before you pitched? That can help too.
Yes, I did!
kombat wrote:Next time, yes, you should definitely rehydrate dry yeast (in boiled and cooled plain water) before adding it to the wort. But this batch should still turn out perfectly drinkable.
Thanks for the reply/info!

Duff

Just looked up the recipe on OBK, looks like I pitched Safale US05, which is a little discouraging if it's normally aggressive. Would adding more yeast 5 days in do more harm that good? I should I just let this sit where it is for 3 weeks and skip racking to a carboy this time around (leave it alone).

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 6 years ago

Take a reading, you may be surprised it is down to an acceptable level.