Flaked oats/barley substitute for extract brewing?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
twistandstout

Flaked oats/barley substitute for extract brewing?

Post by twistandstout » 4 years ago

I'm planning on trying out a rogue shakespear clone for my first stout. I found the following malt bill which seemed simple enough:

67% American 2-row
11% Chocolate malt
11% Crystal 120L (Great Western)
9.5% Flaked Oats
1.5% Roasted Barley

The problem is I am an extract brewer at the moment and don't have a setup for mashing. I steep my specialty grains but know flaked oats/flaked rye etc can not be steeped.

What could be a good substitute? I still have some liquid wheat extract in my fridge from my last black ipa recipe, and was wondering if I could use that?

Thanks!

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Flaked oats/barley substitute for extract brewing?

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

You could always get a little bit of milled barley and some oats and "mash" it on the stove top in a little bit of water. Throw it through a sieve and you got your extract that you can mix with your other extract..

Just an idea...

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

I agree with Doc, get an accurate thermometer, extend your steep to 60-90 minutes, keep it at whatever temp the recipe says to mash at, and you are then doing partial mash rather than steeping. It is better if you have a large enough bag (if thats what you use for steeping) that it lines the pot and do it in as much of the total water needed as possible.

You can substitute other extracts of course, but it will definitely change the outcome. IMHO oats certainly lend a different mouthfeel to beer than wheat, among other things... Oh and I'm not sure if flaked oats are the same as instant, but if not I would go with instant.

twistandstout

I'm not too sure how a partial mash would work, though. I've never done it before. Does anyone have a beginner's guide I could read through?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

Goulaigan wrote:I agree with Doc, get an accurate thermometer, extend your steep to 60-90 minutes, keep it at whatever temp the recipe says to mash at, and you are then doing partial mash rather than steeping.

That only works if there is an appropriate amount of base grain included with the steep. Without the enzymes present in base grain, you'd only be steeping 60-90 mins.

The OP would need to add some 2 row or the like to his flaked oats to get any conversion

Try searching "craigtube mini mash" on youtube, he'll show you......
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Riiiight, forgot about that, not sure if necessary with oats but probably, and definitely for specialty grains. Once you go partial, you are that much closer to doing a full BIAB mash, as long as you have a big enough kettle and a way to heat it, and a polyester voile bag you can make for a few bux at the local fabric shop...

;)

Doc_Drive

SmokeyMcB wrote:
Goulaigan wrote:I agree with Doc, get an accurate thermometer, extend your steep to 60-90 minutes, keep it at whatever temp the recipe says to mash at, and you are then doing partial mash rather than steeping.

That only works if there is an appropriate amount of base grain included with the steep. Without the enzymes present in base grain, you'd only be steeping 60-90 mins.

The OP would need to add some 2 row or the like to his flaked oats to get any conversion

Try searching "craigtube mini mash" on youtube, he'll show you......
Yup, that is what I said... Take a small amount of base malt (barley) and add it to the oats... That should give you the enzymes needed to convert the starches into sugar. You can always check it with the iodine test...

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

Ah....

I missed that part, carry on.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Doc_Drive

:) :cheers:

twistandstout

These seem like good ideas. I'll check that youtube video.

If for some reason I don't get around to doing a partial mash, and simply steep again, would adding oats in there add to the mouthfeel without necessarily giving me more convertible sugars? Maybe I could add the rest of my wheat LME to make up for those sugars lost? Would the beer be substantially less tasty without oats altogether? I like a mean stout, with the mocha head, crazy coffee and chocolate aromas. A bit of citrusy hops in there as well. I'm just trying to make this right, but I recall seeing clone recipes of some of my favorite stouts not mentioning the addition of flaked oats or rye, and they were still really good.