Flaked oats/barley substitute for extract brewing?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Flaked oats/barley substitute for extract brewing?

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

I think oats add mostly to the mouthfeel and not so much the flavour IMHO...

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout » 4 years ago

I might just omit the use of oats, then. I'll probably use something like light malt extract, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and crystal malts. I might combine the 2 different crystals I have or simply buy some 120. I have some victory left over...possibility?

Has anyone ever crafted a nice stout and is willing to give me their grain bill ratios or some kind of sample, makeshift ratios that are largely 'acceptable'? I was thinking shifting away from US-05 yeast and trying something new. Any suggestions? I was gonna go Wyeast or something, go the liquid route rather than pitching dry. Some kind of American ale yeast.

I was going to add dark chocolate and even vanilla to the stout but I'm not that ballsy yet. I think my first stout should be straight-up and simple so I can learn its mechanics before experimenting further.

I really appreciate all the help, everyone. This is a really nice forum :cheers:

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

twistandstout wrote:These seem like good ideas. I'll check that youtube video.

If for some reason I don't get around to doing a partial mash, and simply steep again, would adding oats in there add to the mouthfeel without necessarily giving me more convertible sugars? Maybe I could add the rest of my wheat LME to make up for those sugars lost? Would the beer be substantially less tasty without oats altogether? I like a mean stout, with the mocha head, crazy coffee and chocolate aromas. A bit of citrusy hops in there as well. I'm just trying to make this right, but I recall seeing clone recipes of some of my favorite stouts not mentioning the addition of flaked oats or rye, and they were still really good.
I recently did a similar process on my International Brew Series - Mocha Latte Stout, this video is posted on my You Tube channel. You can see the process there where I steeped Chocolate Malts with Rolled Oats (which where lightly toasted in the oven). CZ and I put this video together intentionally using basic brewing processes and techniques so newer brewers could also follow with more basic equipment. IE I used a rolling pin in the video to crush my grains instead of my grain mill. The beer outcome was great, and you can get some very good beers using extract/malt bases with some practice and creativity. If you want help or need recipe info please let me know. Good luck with your brew. Cheers
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

twistandstout

Post by twistandstout » 4 years ago

I came across this recipe and it seemed interesting. The description read that it tasted like a 'chocolate covered grapefruit' :stirpot:

I was wondering what everyone thought of this recipe, and if there's anything anyone would change? I have centennial hops so I'll probably use that to either bitter or for the aroma hops. I like thick stouts with really mocha heads and intense chocolate/coffee aromas/tastes, so is this enough chocolate/roasted malt to achieve this?

1.25 lbs. (0.57 kg) English chocolate malt
1.0 lbs. (0.45 kg) English roasted barley
0.75 lbs. (0.34 kg) English crystal malt (150 °L)
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) Briess Light dried malt extract
4.75 lbs. (2.2 kg) Briess Light liquid malt extract (late addition)
17.5 AAU Cascade hops (60 min) (3.0 oz./86 g of 5.8% alpha acids)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Cascade hops (10 min)
Wyeast 2220 (Rogue Pacman) yeast

I have some midnight wheat and victory malt left and was wondering if these would have a place in this beer?