Extract with grains boiling question

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
all-world1
Favourite Beer: guinness

Extract with grains boiling question

Post by all-world1 » 3 years ago

I've been brewing via the extract-with-grains method....boiling 3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. Now that winter is setting in, I'm limited to the amount of water going into my septic field, so traditional cooling with a wort chiller or cold water bath is out of the question for the next 4 months or so.

I'd like to boil 2 gallons of the extract/grains mixture and then top off to 5 gallons with 1 degree water that's been sitting outside. I expect to be constantly stirring to avoid scorching the extract. Would this work better to boil half of the extract from the beginning and add the last half with 10 minutes left in the boil?

Craig

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: Extract with grains boiling question

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

Boil the most you can, put the lid on, set outside to cool. It'll be fine.

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 3 years ago

Not being able to use a wort chiller is certainly not the end of the world... especially if you're brewing a high-gravity wort and diluting it with cold water. Like Belly said, keep that boil volume up as much as you can. If you're currently boiling 3 gallons, I see no reason to reduce that to 2.

all-world1
Favourite Beer: guinness

Post by all-world1 » 3 years ago

Belly/Tasty, thanks for the advice. I'll just top it off with the cold water and set it outside the door.