Follow my process, correct my mistakes?

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Follow my process, correct my mistakes?

Post by brhenrio » 3 years ago

bellybuster wrote:Have you ever sampled other people's extract brews? Personally, the flavours of cann d extracts are what got me into all grain in the first place. Fresh bulk extract is a huge step up from canned.
Just mildly curious if maybe there is nothing at all wrong with your brew and you simply do not like the flavour.
You really do have to do something pretty wrong to get infections, beer wants to be beer.

Second this. Used some expired cans on my first batch, amongst other mistakes, and now I'm all grain because of it.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 3 years ago

Again, a good reason to hook up with your local club- people there can taste your beer and help ID flaws...
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 3 years ago

Venari wrote:With kettles over $250, it takes a bit of saving. I can never find a deal on Kijiji either :(
How big a kettle do you want, can get the 8gal ones (which are good enough for a 5gal batch) at OBK for usually around $100, less if they have them on a really good special.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/8_Gallon ... welded.htm

Thermometer and valve assembly, only extra you need is a bazooka screen

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 3 years ago

Everything was fine until I decided it was time to add cacao nibs and vanilla beans.

The vanilla beans had been soaking in rum for months, while I waited to overcome the fear of infecting the next batch. The cacao nibs had boiling water poured on them. Once cooled, the nibs and vanilla were each dumped into the carboy via sanitized coke funnel.

Two days later I see this:
20160604_154449.jpg

Do you think it's infected? Did boiling water not sanitize the nibs somehow?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 3 years ago

How long did you boil the cacao beans? I remember seeing you need boil of 5-10 minutes to sanitize.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Venari

The boiled water was poured onto the nibs, and there it sat for about 30 minutes or so. It wasn't actively boiling.

Some further research and asking around has suggested that this is the result of the oils from the nibs.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

that pic is not really looking like pellicles. just fermentation. hard to tell from a picture though.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 3 years ago

Looks like oils and yeast rafts; nothing to worry about.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Venari

I didn't take pics of bottling, but I'll do my best to described what happened:

1. Boiled some water, put in 98g of table sugar, and allowed to cool (as per northern brewer's priming calculator for a stout, at 2.1 volumes, 70F degrees).

2. Sanitized the bottling bucket (no spigot) with 2L of starsan,

2. Poured the 2L of starsan into the rubbermaid. In it was the stirring spoon (slightly too long for the rubbermaid, so I made sure the foam was all over it), bottling wand, caps, two sizes of autosiphon, two sizes of tubing (3/8 and 1/2 inch, both), bottling wand, hydrometer, and that tube that holds the sample for the hydrometer.

3. Poured the sugar water into the bucket, and swirled around to cool a bit more against the foam and tiny bit of fluid left behind by sanitizing. Used the 1/2 inch autosiphon and hose to rack the stout into the bucket. Once transferred, I used the sanitized spoon to SLOWLY stir the mixture, to be sure the sugar water was mixed evenly throughout the wort.

4. Put a sanitized lid on the bucket, and took about 20 minutes to use a sulphiter to sanitize 48 bottles. (I used Sierra Nevada bottles, because I love that they come in 6 packs which make it easy to offer trades and make gifts).

5. Used the sanitized 3/8 inch siphon and hose, with bottling wand, to put a bit of the beer into the hydrometer testing sample holder thingie (too lazy to look up the proper name for it, since I can't recall what it is at the moment) (sample was 1.012, instead of the predicted 1.008), and into the bottles (the beer tasted fine, which is a huge step up from both previous batches I've made since returning to Ottawa, although I can't taste any chocolate or vanilla).

6. Used my bench capper to cap all of the bottles, using the sanitized caps from the rubbermaid. The beer is now sitting in my basement in brown glass bottles. Since it's in the basement, the temperature is a steady 19-20, which is within the range for the yeast used.

The bottles were rinsed out immediately after being emptied (read: drank...drunk?), and sanitized on bottling day. There were no visual spots of mould or dirt in the bottles (disclaimer: only checked about half the bottles since every one I checked was clean) [reminder: all previous problems were prior to bottling].

Hopefully this is the one batch i've made since my return that hasn't been infected/soured/gusher/whatever. Here's hoping!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 3 years ago

sounds good although I still clean all bottles with oxyclean even when rinsed right after pouring (I'm sure you'll be fine). Don't worry about flavour too much, they will develop with age. A stout can stand a fair bit of aging (3 to 6 weeks) before it really comes into itself especially with an extract kit. you'll find the very last bottle will be the best of the batch