Canadian Pilsner

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
FranklinNewhart
Favourite Beer: Red Ale

Canadian Pilsner

Post by FranklinNewhart » 2 years ago

It has always been to my knowledge that a Pilsner was a lager but I recently purchased a "Brew Canada Pilsner Kit" that I am going to use the malt as an adjunct for an all grain Pilsner I am doing. I was surprised when I opened the lid and found it to contain "Lallamand Nottingham Ale Yeast" I went further to read the instructions and indeed they have you doing an Ale instead of a Lager. They have the fermentation temp up at 20 to 25 C for 5 days on the primary and then for 7 days on the secondary. I have always done my Pilsner with a Lager Yeast and a ferment down between 15 and 20 C. Am I missing something here? Or did they put together an Idiot Proof kit for the beginners out there to get a drinkable beer. I just find this very strange.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Canadian Pilsner

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

These were put together for first time brewers who just want to make beer. They haven't changed through the years as fermentation control wasn't a big deal back in the day. I remember they added a small sachet of " generic " yeast then too. No idea what kind it was. Like you said, an Idiot Proof kit for beginners.

FranklinNewhart

It is interesting that they have given a little fermentation control in the instructions in that they have it going into a secondary. But yes this is what I figured. Gunna use the malt as an adjunct for an all grain Pilsner I am working on. Using 6 Lbs Euro Pils Malt as the base with 3 Lbs Vienna Malt and 1 Lb of Honey Malt. I am doing a double boil with a crash chill and reboil adding I Lb more Euro Pils for the second boil with a rest at 135 F so the 1-6 bonds can be converted. Using Cascade hops at the end of the second boil and infusing them in a Hop Tun as it comes off for the second crash.

Reignman

I did this 2 weeks ago. I had 2 pots on the stove. Pot one was a Brew Canada Draught, boiled for 10 min. Pot 2 was a 2 gallon mash of 2 row and Vienna malt, added 28 grams of Hallertauer and boiled for 60 min. I got just a little over 4 gallons. It surprisingly tasted pretty good. Just a slight extract twang but seemed to go away in a week in the keg. Just something to do with an empty carboy.

FranklinNewhart

Empty Carboys are like that. They take up just as much space as full ones. My kegs have the same problem.

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 2 years ago

Nottingham is a yeast you can run as pseudo lager yeast too. You can set the fermentation temps to 14 C and it becomes a quite neutral yeast... I wouldn't call it a pilsner then, and for sure not at 20 C, but you can get as close to a pilsner without a bottom fermenting yeast...

FranklinNewhart

I am actually not going to use the Nottingham in my Pilsner. It just came with the kit. I will be using Cooper's Lager yeast for my Pilsner. I am trying to see how close I can come to the store bought Saskatchewan Pilsner brand as I can come. If I can make it comparable to that then I should have a winner. As for the Nottingham, well I might use it with for a Honey Brown or a Red Ale.

Reignman

I am not familiar with Coopers Lager yeast. Did it come with a kit, or did you pick it up at a HB store?

FranklinNewhart

Bought it at the Brew Shop in Weyburn, SK. I always thought Coopers just put their yeast in with the tops of their cans of malt. But no they sell the yeast separate too. They only offer two though. Lager Yeast and Ale Yeast. Not exactly a whole catalog of products like Y-yeast but it does a good job so I ain't gunna knock it.
:drunk:

Reignman

I agree, if it works, go for it.