OBK experiences - good and bad

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Blackhawks
Favourite Beer: all beer

OBK experiences - good and bad

Post by Blackhawks » 2 years ago

Hello everyone.

Does anyone have any experiences dealing with OBK? I noticed when I go to buy a beer kit from them the hop ingredients are much different in the shopping cart compared to the recipe. In fact, the majority of their downloadable recipes state to use a Hallertauer Tradition hops @ 60 min which doesn't make sense for most of the beer styles.

As a newbie, I asked them several questions about this and how to store crushed steeping grains and I got this reply:

"You will need a mill if crushing yourself. All our kits are crushed only sorry. All kits have yeast. It travels around the world fine. If in doubt select the dry yeast option."

I responded with this and got the following response:

"Why the difference of ingredients on the instructions compared to the shopping cart list of ingredients?

Availability. Please excuse us if the message is short. This message may be sent by phone. it may be afterhours. Although we try our best to answer every email promptly. it may have done on a smart phone."

I'm not impressed with my first two interactions with them and likely will order elsewhere. Does anyone have some experiences with OBK - good or bad?

B.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: OBK experiences - good and bad

Post by Warthaug » 2 years ago

I do most of my purchases through them and have been hapoy to date. Others I know have had issues with wyeast yeasts from OBK, but I have not. The one time they sent the wrong item to me, they sent me the correct one by priority mail and let me keep the incorrect item to boot.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Post by Dee Envy » 2 years ago

I have dealt with them a few times and had excellent service. Mostly hardware but never had a problem.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

Me too, always great service.

Blackhawks
Favourite Beer: all beer

Post by Blackhawks » 2 years ago

Thanks for your input folks! I read the posts on their online supplier forum and most people were happy with their service.

Thanks again,
B.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

They have a Facebook page where they put their famous deals on.

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

I'm at a loss to see anything negative. They even told you they could be answering your email on a phone hence the short reply.
What exactly is the issue??
Just for interest, I am not a customer. I have no affiliation.