Coopers Light Dry Malt

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
moose002003

Coopers Light Dry Malt

Post by moose002003 » 7 years ago

I received a package of Coopers Light Dry Malt for Christmas and it says to use it with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. I can't find a local brew shop that sells this and I would rather not have to order online. I Live in Windsor, Ontario. What can I use instead of this Brew Enhancer?

Cheers,
Rob

P.S. the package of Light Dry Malt only contains 500g
Mmmmmm Beeeeer!

ihomebrewing

Re: Coopers Light Dry Malt

Post by ihomebrewing » 7 years ago

Hi Rob,
The Coopers Dry Malt is usually used to enhance the coopers canned kits. Your best bet would be to pick up a canned beer kit, and add your Dried Malt pack to that.

Your other option is to get some DME or LME, and some hops. You can make an extract beer.

Cheers,

Bryan

JBhimself
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Re: Coopers Light Dry Malt

Post by JBhimself » 7 years ago

Coopers Enhancer(-s) are the old Australian Morgans Enhancers rebranded into Coopers. This was done a few years ago when Coopers bought up Morgans (a local beer kit brand using Coopers malt in the kits).

The enhancers are built from three components:

1) Light spraymalt extract (DME)
2) Dextrose Monohydrate (i.e. brewing sugar)
3) Maltodextrin

The "Brew Enhancer 1" contains 60% dextrose and 40% maltodextrin, this is for lagers etc. The dextrose does absolutely nothing except making the pack bigger. You could just as well add normal sugar. Dextrose monohydrate is not the same as white sugar, but the effect on the beer will be the same tastewise. Assuming of course that you remember to dose a little less with normal sugar (around 10%). This is because there is one water molecule in the dextrose monohydrate, so some of the weight is de facto "dried water".

Maltodextrin adds mouthfeel and gives a certain head retention. It is all cheating of course, wouldn't pass the German Reinheitsgebot if you are a purist.

The "Brew Enhancer 2" contains 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin and 25% light malt extract. The difference here is the malt extract which mainly adds to the malty flavour of the beer so generally best used in heavier ales.

My suggestion: Skip the enhancers. Just use a mix of (any) sugar and light dry malt extract to get to the desired start gravity. If you are desperate for the extra head retention, well get some maltodextrin then. But you won't normally need it for the body unless you dabble in the real low end (such as a standard Coopers kit with nothing extra added).

Remember though, don't use ONLY malt extract for topping up. You may then end up with too much residual starch stuff which the yeast cannot handle so your beer could stick anywhere between 1010-1025. If you want to experiment, you CAN do this, but then you need an amyloglucosidase enzyme added at start (about 1g). This will break down the starches into fermentable sugars and you will get a normal final gravity even from massive amounts of malt extract. In some cases, it actually works too well so you get a beer that is too dry which would require you to add something really unfermentable back - eh....maltodextrin. But we are not going there.