First Batch is Bottled!

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: First Batch is Bottled!

Post by Reignman » 7 years ago

I never thought bottling was a pain. Messy at times, but hey, I got beer. I keg now, but bottle from my kegs all summer. I toss them in the fridge in the garage for guests in the summer.

cameronlaird
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by cameronlaird » 7 years ago

SwivelHips wrote:Congrats, Cameron. Unless you're wayyy more patient than I, you'll never last 2 weeks, LOL!

I tasted one last week to see what a "green" beer tasted like and I cracked one last night figuring it was "Close Enough" to two weeks! Tastes good! Its a bit flat though I think I left a bit too much head space in the bottles. Next batch I might try bottle priming and topping them up a bit more!

The thing about the mouth feel is that its great, you can feel lots of bubbles as you drink it but there just isn't much of a head. That could be caused by my over cautious pouring though.
Primary: Vinoka Cider Kit
Bottled: Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone, Dark Belgian Strong Ale

Swivel

Post by Swivel » 7 years ago

I noticed an improvement in carbonation after two weeks as opposed to one. What sort of head space did you leave? In my 500ml bottles I left about an inch (sometimes a bit less, I am not 100% consistent). We'll see what 3 weeks' bottle-conditioning tastes like this weekend!
Primary: Caramel Amber
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

birvine

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

It is important to let a beer condition for 2-3 weeks at 70F and then refrigerate for min two days so the co2 dissolves into the beer. Otherwise a big hiss when opening but flat beer.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

cameronlaird
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by cameronlaird » 7 years ago

birvine wrote:It is important to let a beer condition for 2-3 weeks at 70F and then refrigerate for min two days so the co2 dissolves into the beer. Otherwise a big hiss when opening but flat beer.

Brent
Nice Brent! that's it, I'm at two weeks now, we'll just put some in the fridge for a couple days.
Primary: Vinoka Cider Kit
Bottled: Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone, Dark Belgian Strong Ale

Swivel

So, n00b question...when you refrigerate, does the conditioning process stop altogether, or just slow down? So far I've only been putting in the fridge what I think I might drink in the next 2-3 days and leaving the rest stored in the dark at room temp.
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

birvine

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

SwivelHips wrote:So, n00b question...when you refrigerate, does the conditioning process stop altogether, or just slow down? So far I've only been putting in the fridge what I think I might drink in the next 2-3 days and leaving the rest stored in the dark at room temp.
Good idea about a few at a time.

To answer your question, check out the specs online or on your yeast package. This will tell you the range in which your yeast is active. Generally at very cool temps the yeast will go dormant and do nothing at all or next to nothing.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

Swivel

Definitely below the yeast's active temp, which I guess is good since it also allows it to settle out for a clean pour. So the ones I threw in at two weeks are effectively a conditioning 'snapshot' and will not change. I put another one in today so maybe Sunday I'll compare 2-week to 3-week conditioning. I'm sure as I gain experience some of the novelty of this whole process will wear off (or not) and I'll just drink my beer when it's ready.
Next:
Honey Blonde II

Jack

Post by Jack » 7 years ago

Ok, the yeast drops out once it's refrigerated, but what effect does it have otherwise? How much difference in malt and hop flavor is there between beer stored at room temp compared to refrigerated beer?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Swivel

^ That's kinda my question. The one I had yesterday seemd to have 'mellowed' a bit; less hoppy bite, letting more of the malt flavour through. Could be my imagination though.
Next:
Honey Blonde II