First Batch is Bottled!

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Re: First Batch is Bottled!

Post by Canuck » 7 years ago

When I used to bottle, I always let my bottles condition at room temperatures first (obviously). Conditioning at room temperature kinda melds the flavours together. When it was time to cold condition them, I had them in the fridge for about a week before I drank them. I have found that cold conditioning suspends the blending of the flavours and cleans up the taste.....if that makes sense. Cold conditioning for at least a few days will also help the trub in the bottle to solidify and will allow a cleaner pour.

So basically Wayne, I would say that you are not imagining anything. :)
Last edited by Canuck on |25 Feb 2012|, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Swivel

Post by Swivel » 7 years ago

Canuck wrote:So basically Wayne, I would say that you are not imagining anything. :)
People say I imagine quite a number of things, but it's good to know that perhaps this is not one of them. :$
Primary: Caramel Amber
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

birvine

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

Canuck wrote:When I used to bottle, I always let my bottles condition at room temperatures first (obviously). Conditioning at room temperature kinda melds the flavours together. When it was time to cold condition them, I had them in the fridge for about a week before I drank them. I have found that cold conditioning suspends the blending of the flavours and cleans up the taste.....if that makes sense. Cold conditioning for at least a few days will also help the trub in the bottle to solidify and will allow a cleaner pour.

So basically Wayne, I would say that you are not imagining anything. :)
+1 All very true. Some bitterness will mellow. Some hop flavour will mellow and eventually diminish. 'Green' flavours will fade away.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

Jack

Post by Jack » 7 years ago

So which effects the beer more, the length of time it's at room temp or the length of time refrigerated? Do you normally just refrigerate for a week or two before drinking or do you store it refrigerated as well?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

birvine

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

You can store at room temp or chilled. I usually kept a few bottles in the fridge so I would have something ready. My kegs would be chilled for weeks or months. I don't 'know' but would say that what makes sense is that at room temp there would be a quicker change to some settling-out of flavour than if refrigerated. And theoretically, there will be some minute amount of sugar the increases the carbonation at room temp vs chilled.

I would say that after the point of 3-4 weeks (longer for a big beer) chilling or not will not make a big flavour change since the conditioning is likely mostly finished. Heavy beers (ex barley wines) can take months to properly condition.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

cameronlaird
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by cameronlaird » 7 years ago

What a difference a day can make. I put some bottles in the fridge on Friday night and have now cracked two. They both are well carbonated, and give a nice head at initial pour that sticks around somewhat through the whole glass. I'd say its about as much head as I'd expect for the style. See photo...

Gotta say I'm really proud of this batch (being my first), it tastes great and the alcohol content isn't bad either, after a pint I have that nice warm feeling in my face ;)
2012-02-26_16-57-00_735.jpg
Wheat Beer, note the head
Primary: Vinoka Cider Kit
Bottled: Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone, Dark Belgian Strong Ale

Swivel

Looks delish, Cameron, congrats on your first homebrew! Great feeling, isn't it?
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

outscidr

Post by outscidr » 7 years ago

looks tasty

Swivel

When is the Internet going to allow us to *taste* stuff that's posted??
Next:
Honey Blonde II

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 7 years ago

Congrats on your first batch Cameron, that's a fantastic looking brew. I gotta say, and I'm sure most home brewers will agree, that making a brew that tastes absolutely delicious is a pretty darn good feeling. Happy brewing!! :)