Going to try an E.S.B Recipe

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
MitchD73
Favourite Beer: IPA

Going to try an E.S.B Recipe

Post by MitchD73 » 7 years ago

The recipe calls for 7 lbs of pale malt extract, 1 lb of Crystal malt L40, .5 lb of Victory (could only get CaraAmber 25L) 3 Oz of East Kent Golding (2 for bittering 1 for Arromatics) some Wyeast 1968 adn some Irish moss. I found the recipe in "Homebrewing For Dummies" and was hopping for some tips. Also are there any good youtube videos that would show me a good walk through of the process?

Thanks,

birvine

Re: Going to try an E.S.B Recipe

Post by birvine » 7 years ago

Palmer's book is excellent. Not sure of a video.

Brent

EDIT: Doesn't the recipe give instructions for each step?
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery

MitchD73

Just unclear as to the amount of liquid I will have boiling in the pot. Do I just have enough water to dissolve the 7 pounds of malt extract and then add the steeped grain extract to it (lets say a total of 4 or 5 litres); then once boiled for an hour just top up the fermenter to 5 gallons? Or do I dissolve the malt extract into almost 5 gallons of water? That's where I'm a bit unsure.

birvine

The closer to a full boil, the better. You would first steep your grains, remove them, and bring to a boil. Add half of the LME and the boil hops, then with about 10 min left, add the remainder of the LME (just to sanitize it) and the final hops as per sched. Quickly cool the wort with your IC, put into your fermenter and shake the crap out of it to add o2, then add the yeast. Let it ferment for 3-4 weeks, prime and bottle, then let it condition for 2-3 weeks at room temp. etc etc.

Brent

MitchD73

sounds great; however I'll have to get my hands on an immersion chiller. Thanks for the info.

birvine

I just sold mine. I got my Cu at the HD in Timmins along with one washing machine hose which I cut in two and hose-clamped onto the end of the Cu. Chilling is an important step.

Brent