Substitute sugar for DME

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Sixstring78

Substitute sugar for DME

Post by Sixstring78 » 8 years ago

Can you completely substitute 1kg of sugar for 1kg of malt extract? Or is it better to do 1/2kg dextrose and 1/2kg DME?
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Substitute sugar for DME

Post by Warthaug » 8 years ago

Adding sugar in large quantities tends to give the beer a cidery-like flavor. I'd stick with malt extract unless absolutely required. None-the-less, you cannot substitute 1:1; sugar is pure fermentables, while malt extract has unfermentable components to it. And different sugars are different. A short list:

To replace 1 volume (cup, liter, etc) DME, use:
0.60 units dextrose (corn sugar)
0.53 units sucrose (table sugar)

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Sixstring78

Ok, close to what I did. The recipe called for 1kg of sugar so I used 1/2kg DME and 1/2kg dextrose. I guess that means I might end up with a beer with less alcohol then?

Jack

Post by Jack » 8 years ago

Wouldn't you have a higher alcohol%? You replaced half of what it called for with something that ferments out more.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Tony

Post by Tony » 8 years ago

Sixstring78 wrote:Ok, close to what I did. The recipe called for 1kg of sugar so I used 1/2kg DME and 1/2kg dextrose. I guess that means I might end up with a beer with less alcohol then?
A little lighter in alcohol, but better flavour with the DME.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 8 years ago

You'll have slightly lower alcohol, but it should taste a heck of a lot better. Next time, I'd recommend replacing all sugar with 1.2X the amount of DME. You'll be close on the alcohol, and much better on the flavor.

That said, you're one small step away from buying DME, hops and adjunct grains (the ones that provide flavors) and making a batch from scratch. Not much harder than working from a kit, only adds about 30-40min to brew day, and you'll get a much nicer product at the end.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Sixstring78

Warthaug wrote:You'll have slightly lower alcohol, but it should taste a heck of a lot better. Next time, I'd recommend replacing all sugar with 1.2X the amount of DME. You'll be close on the alcohol, and much better on the flavor.

That said, you're one small step away from buying DME, hops and adjunct grains (the ones that provide flavors) and making a batch from scratch. Not much harder than working from a kit, only adds about 30-40min to brew day, and you'll get a much nicer product at the end.
I might try that. I'm hoping to have a very simple all grain setup within the next couple of weeks though too.

I currently have a keg that I'm going to convert to a kettle, and am going to build a mash/lauter tun from a cooler.
Here's what I was planning on doing. Let me know if this will work or not:

1. Boil water in the kettle for my mash
2. Mash in the cooler
3. While the mash is going on, boil my water in the kettle for lautering
4. Drain wort into a 6 gallon bucket(I only plan on doing a 5 gallon batch to start)
5. Pour wort into kettle and boil
6. Transfer to fermenter

Will this little bit of equipment set me on my way to all-grain?

Tony

Six, you should have no trouble doing AG like that.

RichC999

Post by RichC999 » 8 years ago

You might need a turkey fryer tho as you stove probably can't bring 6 gallons of wort to a boil.

Rich

Tony

RichC999 wrote:You might need a turkey fryer tho as you stove probably can't bring 6 gallons of wort to a boil.

Rich

Yeah, that would be nice, but you could always split the boil evenly between 2 pots and do it on the stove.