Substitute sugar for DME

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
RichC999

Re: Substitute sugar for DME

Post by RichC999 » 8 years ago

Tony wrote: Yeah, that would be nice, but you could always split the boil evenly between 2 pots and do it on the stove.
That is what I do. But I thought he mentioned in his post that he was using a Keggle...

Rich

Jack

Post by Jack » 8 years ago

He said he wants to sub sugar instead of dme which would raise the alcohol, not lower it. Right? I think a few people read it the other way around.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 » 8 years ago

RichC999 wrote:You might need a turkey fryer tho as you stove probably can't bring 6 gallons of wort to a boil.
Already have a turkey fryer. If need be the father in law has 3 more. :) I plan on confiscating a couple of them once I get a couple more kegs and have my planned 3 keggle system.
Mind you I've seen the systems that B&S has, the stand with three burners built in, very nice! But for now the turkey fryers are free.
Anybody use a magnetic pump to move their beer around? Would like to get one of those eventually as well.
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

Sixstring78

jfil wrote:He said he wants to sub sugar instead of dme which would raise the alcohol, not lower it. Right? I think a few people read it the other way around.
I guess my original post may have been confusing. I wanted to substitute DME for sugar I should have said, instead of sugar for DME. In the end I did 1/2kg DME and 1/2kg dextrose.

Sixstring78

RichC999 wrote:
Tony wrote: Yeah, that would be nice, but you could always split the boil evenly between 2 pots and do it on the stove.
That is what I do. But I thought he mentioned in his post that he was using a Keggle...

Rich
I will be using a keggle yes. Still have to convert it. Looking forward to the ringing in my ears from drilling out the keg. lol