Set-up

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Daveyspencer
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

Set-up

Post by Daveyspencer » 1 month ago

Hi,
I am new. I finally have the time and space to brew some beer. I have a small hobby farm and grow hops and barley, so I will eventually do some all-grain brews. However, in the meantime, I have been reading all the material, and I think it's best to set-up simply, do a few extract brews, nail the fermentation and grow from there. I'm looking forward to using this forum to learn what I can from all your experience.
I have a few questions about set-up:
I know what I need but I would love to hear what brand-names are most trusted. I am in Victoria, so if there are local stores recommended, please let me know. For example: is there a particular brand of start-up kit that is suitable?
Also, knowing I will eventually need mash-tuns..etc, and I will do full-volume boils, with what equipment is it worth starting off big? For example: do I do a small wort chiller for the 5gal brews, even though I'll need something more substantial later or just start with a more expensive one, like plates? I would love to get a conical, stainless fermentor, but I feel starting with a conical plastic or even just a bucket is so inexpensive that it is a smart place to start.
About my plan: I will likely bottle into reusable bottles (hinged-caps) and eventually into kegs. So I don't need a bottle capper. Also, I am setting this up in a garage with regular wall-sockets (and I'm not an electrician), so if I go big on anything, it will likely be a propane burner and kettle able to contain a bubbling 10gal. I have space to build a tiered system, if that is appropriate.

Let me know what you all think.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Set-up

Post by Reignman » 4 weeks ago

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/default.asp

Take a look at this site from Ontario. They have all kinds and sizes of brewing equipment. I use the Robobrew 35 L system myself. I am sure you can buy this in BC. There are lots of books out there to help you start also. Here is one every brewer should own.

www.howtobrew.com

I would recommend buying it.

Reignman

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 4 weeks ago

Do yourself afavour, and if you are planning on brewing 10 gallons in the future, buy a suitable pot for the future, at least 1t gallons. It sucks if you buy something now, only to need a bigger pot later.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Daveyspencer
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

Post by Daveyspencer » 3 weeks ago

Thanks everyone. I'm reading through howtobrew again. It's been a great help. The 10+ gallon pot is what I suspected. Any idea how much bigger than 10gal is needed to contain the foaming?

brhenrio

Post by brhenrio » 3 weeks ago

For a 5 gallon batch into serving containers, you will need to boil at least 7 gallons of wort. On my old propane setup, which I could get a lot of heat going through, a 10 gallon pot would still occasionally boil over if i had the heat set too high.
Tap 4:

brhenrio

Post by brhenrio » 3 weeks ago

A good general rule of thumb is double the volume for the batch you will be brewing, within reason.
Tap 4: