88% brewhouse efficiency BIAB - my highest number yet

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
twistandstout

88% brewhouse efficiency BIAB - my highest number yet

Post by twistandstout » 1 week ago

I brewed my first beer in 10 months yesterday - a 'classic' west coast IPA. I thought I'd have to shake out some cobwebs since it's been so long but it ended up being my smoothest brew day ever, and I even surpassed my previous efficiency 'record.' Numerous people at the homebrew shop told me BIAB was a bad way to go and that I'd only be able to get 50-60% brewhouse efficiency if I was lucky. I don't drink very much and only see my friends once in a blue moon, so making 3-4 gallon batches is more than enough for me, not necessitating a larger all grain setup.

For those who have brewed using the BIAB method, what kind of brewhouse efficiency were you able to achieve? Is 88% something to even write home about or is it the norm?

Thanks! And really nice to be getting back into brewing. I had a bit of dread when beginning but it all melted away once I smelled that mashing wort. :drunk:

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: 88% brewhouse efficiency BIAB - my highest number yet

Post by Reignman » 1 week ago

88% is pretty good. I get 81% with my Robobrew.

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 1 week ago

88% is pretty impressive. When I used to BIAB I was lucky to get any more than 70% efficiency, often lower. I've switched to a Robobrew as well, but I'm not convinced it's the same thing.

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio » 1 week ago

BIAB is hard to get efficiency above 70% without recirculation. You did good. I use a robobrew and am usually 75-85.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pil
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner
Tap 2:
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4:

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Post by Dee Envy » 2 days ago

88%. Awesome!!
Low efficiency is a falacy with BIAB. I have always brewed using this method and I get at least 75 - 79% efficiency. Some at 83%. There are only a couple brews it dropped to aound 71%.
Using Biabicus is flawless. Great spreadsheet.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer