Brewing a red pale ale - feedback on recipe and advice?

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
twistandstout

Brewing a red pale ale - feedback on recipe and advice?

Post by twistandstout »

I've never brewed a red ale before, and I've been really interested in brewing a hoppy red pale ale specifically. My main concerns are introducing a nice deep red hue to the beer while keeping maltiness to a minimum. Since I want this to be more of an india red ale, with the hops in the spotlight, I'm trying to craft a recipe that will ensure this. I also want to hop it with citra and mosaic exclusively, all late additions and dry-hop. I was thinking 2:1 mosaic to citra. So for, I've got this for the malt bill:

I'll be making a smaller batch, 2.5 gallons, BIAB. This is an initial test recipe I've just thrown into the brewer's friend calculator. I'll toss it into BIABacus later and see. I also have working notes for my last brew day that I need to peruse since my initial calculations then did not fully pan out (i.e., amount and temp of strike water, mash temps, etc)

85.8% 2-row
6.2% carared
1.8% dehusked caraffa III
6.2% crystal 40....or 60, or whatever I currently have. I know it's a lower lovibond crystal

I'm aiming for around 5-5.5% ABV for this one. More pale ale territory.

Haven't decided on hop scheduling yet, but aiming for 40-50 IBUs, all hop bursting. So probably one shot of citra and mosaic at the end to bring up IBU's to the desired amount, followed by a healthy flameout addition, followed by an even healthier dry-hop 2:1 mosaic to citra. I'm going to try to get leaf hops for the DH.

Thoughts? I'd really appreciate some feedback especially from those who've succeeded in brewing hop-forward red ales with more subdued malt.

Thanks a lot! :laugh:

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Brewing a red pale ale - feedback on recipe and advice?

Post by Reignman »

Since it has been 2 months how was the red ale? I have been looking at recipes for a red ale. You had the right idea with the caraffa III since using just carared will not give it a deep red colour. I had a Kilkenny Irish Cream ale in a pub a few weeks ago and it did indeed have a deep red colour. Hops were low and the malt taste was very low, bland actually. I would of preferred more hop bitterness personally, so looking at your recipe is more of what I would like. Did you brew it?

twistandstout

Re: Brewing a red pale ale - feedback on recipe and advice?

Post by twistandstout »

Yes, this beer was brewed and consumed. It turned out really nice. My efficiency wasn't so good, which has now been fixed since I own my own grain mill, so it ended at just a bit under 5%, which made it a nice sessionable ale. My avi is a picture of this beer. The colour turned out exactly what I wanted it to be - blood red and very clear. I dry hopped with a 2:1 ratio of mosaic and citra. So, combined with the malt, this beer smelled a bit like berry citrus candy.

One thing I noticed is that the body was a bit "thin." I'm thinking if I would have hit my targeted efficiency and had this beer finish at around 5.5-6% alcohol, it could have been a bit fuller. That and a higher mash. I can't remember what I mashed at, I'd have to check my notes.

If I brewed this again I think I would probably mash around 154 or so, and add more flameout hops. The dry-hop seemed to work out fine. It was incredibly easy to drink.

One final thing, I used leaf hops in the dry hop and noticed that the smell of this beer was what I can only describe as being "hoppy" first - the kind of smell you get when you open a package of leaf hops and take a whiff. It didn't smack you in the face initially with citrusy and fruity aromas, and I've read that is sometimes a quality of the leaf hop. If I brewed it again, I'd use pellets in the dry-hop to see what would come of that.