I'll be making a smaller batch, 2.5 gallons, BIAB. This is an initial test recipe I've just thrown into the brewer's friend calculator. I'll toss it into BIABacus later and see. I also have working notes for my last brew day that I need to peruse since my initial calculations then did not fully pan out (i.e., amount and temp of strike water, mash temps, etc)
1.8% dehusked caraffa III
6.2% crystal 40....or 60, or whatever I currently have. I know it's a lower lovibond crystal
I'm aiming for around 5-5.5% ABV for this one. More pale ale territory.
Haven't decided on hop scheduling yet, but aiming for 40-50 IBUs, all hop bursting. So probably one shot of citra and mosaic at the end to bring up IBU's to the desired amount, followed by a healthy flameout addition, followed by an even healthier dry-hop 2:1 mosaic to citra. I'm going to try to get leaf hops for the DH.
Thoughts? I'd really appreciate some feedback especially from those who've succeeded in brewing hop-forward red ales with more subdued malt.
Thanks a lot!
One thing I noticed is that the body was a bit "thin." I'm thinking if I would have hit my targeted efficiency and had this beer finish at around 5.5-6% alcohol, it could have been a bit fuller. That and a higher mash. I can't remember what I mashed at, I'd have to check my notes.
If I brewed this again I think I would probably mash around 154 or so, and add more flameout hops. The dry-hop seemed to work out fine. It was incredibly easy to drink.
One final thing, I used leaf hops in the dry hop and noticed that the smell of this beer was what I can only describe as being "hoppy" first - the kind of smell you get when you open a package of leaf hops and take a whiff. It didn't smack you in the face initially with citrusy and fruity aromas, and I've read that is sometimes a quality of the leaf hop. If I brewed it again, I'd use pellets in the dry-hop to see what would come of that.