First Brew Since Before Oktoberfest

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

First Brew Since Before Oktoberfest

Post by Patrickivan »

I was pretty discouraged after that last wheat I dumped down the sink. It was made for Oktoberfest and was a huge failure. Though I let it sit in the keg until November, hoping and hoping it would condition out to something at least palatable.

But, it called me back. I couldn't stay away. I had 5 pounds of two row left. Ordered some wheat malt. Cleaned out the equipment REALLY well. Bought some new hose. And brewed up a wheat 2 weekends ago. Coming up on 3 weeks, all looks great so far. No odd smells coming from the fermentation lock.

I added a little more hops than I normally would for a wheat. I like the fruity flavours. The OG was spot on. Everything seemed to go nicely... I'll keg it in a week and a half.

Ya- I couldn't stay away.

Biers!
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: First Brew Since Before Oktoberfest

Post by Reignman »

What did it taste like when you tossed it out?

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

Sour. And not a good wheat sour. Like musty almost. It's funny too, because there were hints of a decent flavour in it. But it just didn't work out. I had my weizzbier loving friends over to sample- just to see if it was me LOL. I waited and waited and sampled...

Anyway. I'm anxious about this one. If it fails as well, I'm selling my home brew supplies.

George Nathan

Reignman

Post by Reignman »

Don't sell your stuff. I have been brewing since 1979 and still get batches that suck. I had 2 before Christmas that I tossed out. A bitter that went sour and a Pilsner that sucked and I still don't know what the heck happened. Do some research on the internet, buy some books etc. There are a ton of homebrewers on this forum who can get you back on track.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

I probably won't sell it... I'm all talk. And when a really good beer turns out, it's a chase for another. I just get pissed because of the cost of the grains. That shipping still bugs me and the only other place within driving distance, Barnstorm in barrie or whatever they're called, NEVER EVER responds to inquiries, emailed or called, for grains. Despite actually selling them.

Anyway--- kegging soon. It smells right so far. That last one had to have just got contaminated along the way. I know it happens.

What is your set up like?

I'd love a multistage system that's completely self contained with no exposure to the outside elements after initial cleaning and buttoning everything up at the start. Sounds expensive.

George Nathan

Reignman

Post by Reignman »

GTA Brews organizes 2 bulk grain buys a year. Usually May and November. You pick up the grains from Toronto Brewing in Toronto. My set up is quite simple. All electric, boiler, mash tun and sparge tank. I re-read your post and you said you may sell your supplies, not your equipment. Why? Grains out of date? Please explain further what kind of system you want.

Lead Loader
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post by Lead Loader »

OBK does bulk malt weekend buys too on sat morning. just need enough to pick up to make it worth it. even shipping 40 lbs from them isnt too bad either.
Beer, Beer, Beer, Bed, Bed, Bed

Reignman

Post by Reignman »

There is always someone near you with a truck going to the bulk grain buys. I own an Impala and got 11 bags in it a few years ago. Steering was very easy on the way home.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

I'm still a little pissed at OBK's last completely failed attempt at customer service, so I reluctantly order from them. They're too far to go to. And while I don't mind Toronto Brew Co, they're just too far out of the way and the nearest location is in a lousy spot for me. But it is what it is for now.

The beer was kegged yesterday. ABV 4.4%. Decent flavour. Added a little more hops than I normally would for a weissbier, but got what I wanted. Subtle citrus and bitter that I like. Was happy with it overall. Nice to be able to drink a homebrew again!

George Nathan

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio »

Reignman wrote:There is always someone near you with a truck going to the bulk grain buys. I own an Impala and got 11 bags in it a few years ago. Steering was very easy on the way home.
Hopefully you weren't hitting the brakes to steer, like I have seen some farmers trucks after they picked up their herbicides.
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4: