But I just hadn't really been in the mood to brew since. Nothing all summer. I think a big issue is my setup was discouraging me.
My boil pot is too small at barely 25 litres. It is supposed to be 28, but my measurements didn't verify that. So I've had too many irritating boil overs.
My stove can't boil the water, so I have to use the propane burner, and I'm not a big fan of doing this outside.
And cooling my wort has been far too slow.
But I went ahead and made another batch anyway. Bought some 28' of copper and made a wort chiller that worked perfectly. Took 20 minutes to cool. Watched my boil like a hawk to minimize boil over in my undersized pot. Cleaned the hell out of everything, and don't even mind the 2 wasps that I found in my wort. They died fast.
I even tried multi-stage temperature of the mash again.
Everything seemed to work perfectly. My OG was what I wanted. Every timed perfectly. 24 hours after pitching my yeast, my krausen was blowing out the fermentation lock like a geyser! It smelled glorious. I hooked up a blow off tube, and it's fermenting away nicely.
I love the simplicity of wheat beers. Barely. Wheat. Hops. Yeast. 3 weeks later and something hopefully to enjoy for 2 weeks!
That said, I will be getting a larger boil pot. And eventually a larger fermenter. Seems I can't help escalating things.
I blame you people. And the Beers.
I'm still getting a larger pot and fermenter... But I do have 3 carboys that will still be used, and I am ordering that stuff with my next order.