ABV Question

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

ABV Question

Post by Patrickivan »

Hi All.

I have a quick question. I think I know the answer will be: take a SG reading in 2 weeks. But here it is anyway.

I just did a brew yesterday and got the highest OG then I've ever had in a brew, at post boil 1.062... Based on that, and my brew calculators, I could expect an over 6% ABV beer. The thing is, I don't like high alcohol. 4 to 5% is ideal.

I was wondering if my only option is pretty much just taking that reading in 2 weeks. I just really hate opening my fermenter if I'm not going to keg right away.

Here was my brew.

4lbs 2 Row
4lbs wheat malt
4lbs Munich malt
1oz hallertau pellets (30m)
1oz cascade leaf (30m)
WLP 300 wheat beer yeast

Smells fantastic.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Re: ABV Question

Post by Dave »

Quick, add 2 gallons of ro water to fermenter drops it to 5%. bottle extra.

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish »

Yep, dilution is your solution. :cheers:

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

Dilute it? Really? I honestly never even came close to contemplating that.

Well. It's been well over 24 hours now, and it's fermenting away quite wonderfully. So diluting it isn't going to happen now.

Besides, 2 gallons (8 liters) more is far beyond what my carboy would hold. It's only 25 liters and I have 20.5 in there now.

I mean, this isn't the end of the world if I end up with a stronger beer? I just find higher abv beers seem to lose the flavours I love about beers.

George Nathan

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

I have diluted when I kegged it. I only did it once and it was okay. You will lose hop bitterness and malt taste I guess. Since this is a wheat beer, the bitterness is low anyway?

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

Once your are done your boil and have cooled it, take your OG reading. If it is higher than expected, just add distilled water until you reach the OG you were aiming for, pitch your yeast and go.

Do it all the time for my brews, just means you end up with extra to bottle once done.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

ECH wrote:Once your are done your boil and have cooled it, take your OG reading. If it is higher than expected, just add distilled water until you reach the OG you were aiming for, pitch your yeast and go.

Do it all the time for my brews, just means you end up with extra to bottle once done.
Next time that comes up, I'll do that. It's just never happened before.
Reignman wrote:I have diluted when I kegged it. I only did it once and it was okay. You will lose hop bitterness and malt taste I guess. Since this is a wheat beer, the bitterness is low anyway?
I think I'm going to take a SG reading this weekend. If it's in a +4 % range, I'll keg it and let it sit for a week before sticking it in the fridge.

The krausen is still nice pale white and fermenting away. Very regular gas release from the lock.

I'm both happy and conflicted with this brew having never had one be so vigorous this long. And the basement is a cool 17 degrees Celsius. Which is low for the wpl-300, but it's still going strong.

George Nathan

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

Happens to me all the time, don't know why, but my pot boils off more than normal. Maybe I am just boiling it too vigorously. Anyway, ends up being too high OG for the brew all the time, just add distilled water until you reach your OG, throw in the yeast and seal. Hasn't failed me yet.

Patrickivan

Post by Patrickivan »

Well- I checked it on Sunday. And it was at 1.030. Kegged it and will let it sit another week in an ambient temperature room. But the abv is fine for me at about 4.2%, And the flavour is decent. I think it'll be better next week for sure.

I usually try to make my wheat bill equal to whatever other grain I'm using. This was only 33% wheat. And it's a wee bit more hoppy than I'd usually do a wheat beer. It's got a nice spicy and citrusy hints to it.

It is not even remotely watery feeling either. I'm really looking forward to Friday night....

George Nathan

brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post by brhenrio »

1.030, taht is a pretty high fg. Did you use a hydrometer to check?
In the fermentor: Golden Sour, Not a Pill v2
Tap 1: Puck that Filsner; Berliner Weisse
Tap 2: Not a Pill; Lager
Tap 3: Paddockwood Kolsch
Tap 4: