Munton's American Style Light

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Sixstring78

Munton's American Style Light

Post by Sixstring78 »

I'm going to brew another batch this weekend and was trying to choose something the rest of my family would like.
Has anybody made the Munton's American Style Light?
My family is all Coors Light drinkers so how would this compare?
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

ihomebrewing

Re: Munton's American Style Light

Post by ihomebrewing »

Coors light is the American Light Lager Style taken to the extreme. It is a lager with virtually no flavour whatsoever. As much as we as brewers knock it, that is really a hard thing to do.

Here are some tips that may optimize your extract kit brew:

You can improve kit flavour profiles of any extract beer kit by subbing or, at least having a partial sub of light DME, instead of the sugar.

The yeast can be upgraded too. If you want to stick to ale yeast, you need to keep the yeast flavour profile clean. Try Fermentis US-05, or any other really clean fermenting yeast. White Labs Cal Ale is simply amazing, or any American or Kolsch style liquid yeast. Control your ferment temp. Keep it between 68-70 deg F. If you want to go hard core, get a lager yeast, and ferment it at 55 deg F.

Go hardcore with your cleaning and use a no-rinse sanitizer.

It should ferment healthy and clean in about a week. Leave it for another week to allow flocculation and re-absorbtion of off flavours such as diacetyl.

RichC999

Post by RichC999 »

The problem with those types of beers is that they use lots of corn and rice to increase sugar without adding flavor. Not sure you can do this with a kit.

Rich

9am53

Post by 9am53 »

would adding corn sugar (dex) not be the same as adding corn?
Primary: Brown Ale
Secondary: Plzen that is lagering
Keg: Irish Red
Bottle: Plzen
In The Mail: Nothing

Tony

Post by Tony »

Corn sugar is completly fermentable and won't leave any real taste. Corn itself has to be mashed so as to
get the fermentables to change to the various types of sugars, some of which is relatively unfermentable,
and will leave a " taste ".

I recently did an all grain version of Miller lite using US-05 yeast, mashed base grain with flaked maise to a gravity of 1030.
After primary was done, I used Alpha Amylase in the secondary phase to further decrease the gravity to 1000. I ended up
with a 4% beer with no flavour... perfect for those who don't like real beer.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

Hard to do Tony. Good for you. I tell my brother that people who drink Bud Light don't like beer at all, that is why they drink that shit.

Jack

Post by Jack »

I really don't understand light beer. Why reduce the taste and alcohol so you can drink more of something that has no taste? Just drink fewer real beer (although i personally find that damn near impossible!). I actually used to like regular Coors, but you can't get it anymore.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

Commercial breweries have done a great job of marketing these so called beer products, they have most believing these near beer products are good.
Its all about money and profit not about quality beer and craftsmanship!
Fortunately we all know the truth about beer!

Cheers!

Scott

Tony

Post by Tony »

Absolutly beautiful sunny and warm on the rock today and I'm sipping a AG lite lager ( with a lot more flavour than
Bud Light ) and a fry of moose on the side burner of my grill. Coors Light is about the only commercial beer I don't prefer to drink.
I love all beer weather it is Bud Light up to PBR and all my local yellow fizzy lagers to the darkest roasty stout. All in good time.

Even though I have many commercial beer in my fridge, I prefer my own to that of store bought. BUT there are times I also enjoy
a store bought. I guess I'm only a teeny weeny beer snob. LOL.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 »

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT wrote:Commercial breweries have done a great job of marketing these so called beer products, they have most believing these near beer products are good.
Its all about money and profit not about quality beer and craftsmanship!
Fortunately we all know the truth about beer! Scott
For those of you who haven't seen it, look for a video called "Beer Wars". Excellent documentary talking about how the big three(at least in the US) Bud, Miller & Coors have a stranglehold over the beer economy. Very interesting watch.
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"