Bottle storage inconvenience

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
Erwin
Favourite Beer: Westmalle Dubbel

Bottle storage inconvenience

Post by Erwin » 7 years ago

Right off the bat, how are you buys storing your beer bottles?
The reason I ask, where I come from, Holland, beer is stored in plastic crates. You'd go to the supermarket and buy a crate from a certain brand. They are mostly 24 bottles, Grolsch has crates for swingtops with 16 bottles I believe, but the point is, all crates have the same dimension, you can stack multiple brands.
See this google search, click on images to see what I mean: https://www.google.ca/search?q=kratje+bier
For a home brewer, it would be extremely convenient to have those plastic crates to store and stack bottles.
Now I have a mix of carton boxes, milk crates, a plastic mountain-dew crate and a wooden custom build crate.
They all have different sizes and some bottles stick out and it's a complete mess.
It seems that milk crates is the answer for standardization? How are others solving this problem/challenge?
Primary: Smugglers Honey Brown
Lager: Infusion Maibock, Decoction Maibock
Conditioning: Liquorice Schwarzbier
Drinking: Pacman West Coast IPA, American Brown Ale
Later: Hobgoblin clone, IPA

Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Re: Bottle storage inconvenience

Post by Stubrew » 7 years ago

Drinking them faster is one option of course, but another is simply building shelves in a cool place. Or keg it...i do all 3. Lol.
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.

outscidr

Post by outscidr » 7 years ago

I believe a store called storage solutions. It fits sixteen grolsch bottles perfectly. I Also keep them in the cardboard 4 packs to reduce gingling. Only works with grolsch bottles.

outscidr

Post by outscidr » 7 years ago

Here is the link
http://www.solutions-stores.ca/ecommerc ... =040001003
6.99 each

stanzela

Post by stanzela » 7 years ago

Milk crates are a terrific option for storing beer bottles, and are surely much like the ones in Holland (fully stackable, relatively light and durable. One crate holds about 16, 500ml bottles or over 20, 333mL-341mL.

I've found many here in Toronto (legally, from people moving out of their home) but if you ask any independent shop owner who carries milk, I'm sure they would sell you some crates for the deposit price.

Erwin

Yeah milk crates, I have 4 now, wish I had more. How much is the deposit for a store owner? I read walmart sells them too, not the best quality but still.

Mr Frugal
Favourite Beer: PBR

Post by Mr Frugal » 7 years ago

Hey Erwin,
I went through the whole bottle dilemma thing a few years ago. Washing, priming, bottling, storing...A royal PITA. I went as far as buying swing top Grolsch empties, and building custom wood crates to fit them. I eventually got fed up and gave everything away.
While it's quaint to offer guests a bottle that they can open themselves, (and since you are from Holland, perhaps there is some nostalgia to it), but the best way to go is a kegging system, IMHO. Concentrate on the beer, not the packaging.

Mr Frugal
Favourite Beer: PBR

Post by Mr Frugal » 7 years ago

This post is actually in the wrong category. Not sure if Admins can move it or not...

Erwin

Nostalgia indeed, I was born and raised under the fumes of the Grolsch brewery. Believe me, that smells!

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 7 years ago

I keg, but I do bottle and just use the case of Steam Whistle or Mill Street that came with the bottles.