First Brew. no fermentation action??

Homebrewing with extract? Share your thoughts here!
Scott
Favourite Beer: imperial stout

First Brew. no fermentation action??

Post by Scott » 4 years ago

Hey Folks, i did my first HME last Wednesday, have been monitoring it closely. i waited for temp to stabilize at 70 F before putting in my yeast packet, its been there for 5 days now and i dont see any action happening. Was my yeast maybe dead?

:S :S :S

OntarioBeerkegs

Re: First Brew. no fermentation action??

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » 4 years ago

Air lock and visual cues are not a sign of fermentation. It could be half way done or almost complete without a visual cue with certain strains. Or it could be a slow starting strain that takes 3-4 days to get moving. Always use a device to measure your starting gravity like a hydrometer or refractometer and check back a few days later to measure for a variance between the SG (starting) and current gravity.

Most yeast will also have a temperature range to pitch marked on it. For some styles 70 will be too high.

Patrick
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 4 years ago

Without "waking up" your yeast, you could have a few days of lag before it gets going.

25C water and your packet of yeast in a glass, or measuring cup to re hydrate your yeast will go a long way in cutting down your lag time, but yes, you have to measure your gravity readings to make sure it isn't finished already.

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 4 years ago

In my experience, "usually" one would see some signs of fermentation by now, but as OBK said, sometimes there are no signs at all.

Do you have a hydrometer, and if so did you record your initial gravity?
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron » 4 years ago

Week before last was my third time making my chocolate stout. The first two times although there was lots of bubbling going on, there was absolutely no krousen at all. This time i had the fermenter in the furnace room to make room for poker night and when i checked the next day there was 3" of krousen in my 15gal fermenter. The sticky thermometer on it said 72° and normally my downstairs is 68°.
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys