Tacky after taste

Just starting out? Find answers to commonly asked homebrewing questions here!
Sully and Boo
Favourite Beer: IPA

Tacky after taste

Post by Sully and Boo »

Hey,

I'm not sure how to describe this. After you drink it, it leaves a tanin mouthfeel. Like a chimp eating peanut butter. It makes your mouth slap making a chewing sound.

Well I get that after some beers. Could this caused by oxygen contacting the beer? Water profile? Not leaving in the fermenter long enough?

I understand that all of the above and a few more reasons could be the reason but I find I get it on most of my beers. Just looking for a direction to head in. I do have a Fermzilla waiting to be used and want to try closed transfers so see if that makes a difference.

I am quite impatient when it comes to waiting and probably don't ferment/keg long enough before trying to reap the rewards.

Any help appreciated,
Cheers

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Tacky after taste

Post by Reignman »

All-grain brewer? If so, are you over sparging? Sparging with water that is over 170 F? Do you check your PH? Try keep your mash PH under 5.5.

Sully and Boo
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Sully and Boo »

Yes all-grain. Over sparging? Is that a thing? :| I don't think I use water over 170f. I generally heat up the sparge water in the RoboBrew before hand and keep it in a 8 gallon boil kettle so if anything I'd say it cools down a bit.

I will admit water chemistry is not a thing I practice right now. I've asked a LHBS and the general answer was "I brew wine, but I don't know of anyone who does anything with Edmonton water... it's pretty good here!"

Is PH a good place to start with rergards to water? I do get a bit lost in PPM calcium, gypsum, etc.

Thanks for the reply

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

Not splashing your beer when kegging can help too. I transfer under pressure with my Conical and my carboys. I use that orange cap thingy with my better bottles to transfer with C02 to keep oxidation to a minimum.